1995 993 GT2

A forum for the 3.6 liter Air-cooled Cars
Drew
OK Tom, here goes. Where to start? I should also preface this with the disclaimer that the rules and regs may well have changed in the past 20+ years since I embarked on this project. I haven't kept up with the feds machinations especially in the era of EV promotion and don't know what fun might lie in wait for states other than MA. Also I'm a bit reluctant to immortalize some of the "tricks" I used in a public forum. Although not illegal, they certainly bent the 2000 rules a bit and I would hate to see those options cut off by rule changes that resulted from me letting the cat out of the bag. If anyone in the forum wants an offline discussion we can always go to PM.

Jlaa
Yes I think tips/tricks in dealing with CARB would always be useful. I'd be interested to hear how you did it.

Drew
Actually never had serious issues with emission unless car had not been driven for a day or two. Tune up before inspection and she always passed easily in MA. Don't know how CARB requirements compare ?

BTW after you asked re gearbox, checked with my mechanic and apparently a G64/51 with some hardened steel gears.

Ocho
That’s one beautiful car and the spec sounds amazing!

Very low mileage for what you’ve called a daily driver for 15 years - less than 3,000km per year!

Drew
You're right, "daily driver" is an exaggeration! The car was frequently garages especially in NE winters and then once I realized in later years how much the car might be worth, I often ended up taking another family ride. From here on the car is only on the road to shows and special occasions!

Larry C
@Drew Please post as many stories about this amazing car as you feel inclined to do. I’m eager to hear the next episode. 🤗🤗

2022 Cayman GTS 4.0
2019 Audi RS3 (sold)
2016 VW Golf R (sold)
2013 Audi S4 (sold)

Drew
OK where were we - registered in the UK carrying an MoT certificate through 2002. This proved critical because the US feds didn't focus initially on emissions even with high compression engine. Really the back and forth over their list of "dislikes" wasn't too bad and easily countered - bumper height (Dubai same as US), aluminium door crash protection (turns out road version GT2 has extra bars inside doors). What they got really bent out of shape over was the center lock wheels! I think Porsche introduced these in 2004 and convinced the NHSA that wheels don't fly off track cars so why should they do that on the highway!

Drew
Apologies for delay in the next installment of the import saga - 2 grandchildren in 12 weeks got me a bit distracted - no complaints, wonderful problem to have!
Speaking of problems, the last time I posted, I had the GT2 in the UK and was fighting with the US feds. The breakthrough came when I ran into a Porsche enthusiast who had a side business importing euro 911 engines from wrecked cars. He seemed to have a well-oiled enterprise and it dawned on me this might solve my impasse - part out the car and bring it in as parts! I found a reliable shop in London that was familiar with dismantling wrecked 911s for parts resale and had them take the car apart. The key was to import pieces separately over the course of several months using different carriers and delivery addresses. The first shipment was the engine and transmission using my friends vendors and system. The drive train was part of a bulk shipment to his US facility. The paperwork documented recovery from a UK registered vehicle with a MoT inspection certificate (I.e. emissions certified). Once it arrived stateside and cleared customs, then the stripped body was next - no headlights (these were a potential problem because they were beam height adjustable from inside the car) and much of the interior leather. trim panels and seats removed - basically made to look like and designated a frame for a track car build. Later the separated pieces were shipped separately. The shipping cost and import duty on the three shipments was ~$10k. My Porsche mechanic spent the best part of 2 months reassembling everything and amazingly only a rear axle stabilizer bar was missing and easy to replace. Applied for a MA title with documentation from a State Trooper verifying the VIN number. The rest is history as they say!
Needles to say the car has been an absolute delight to both own and drive - garnering a lot of interest wherever it was parked. Even the cup car guys got a kick out of it and tempted as I was to take it on the track I never mustered up the nerve. The nagging feeling that one mistake would ruin a classic with very little chance of repairing it kept me out of trouble - where would I find a composite bolt on fender extension, aluminum hood or split front
spoiler?! The power-weight ratio coupled with 4WD makes her so much fun and easy to drive. I don't know what the curb weight is compared to a contemporary 993TT, but my guess is ~500lb lighter. When the engine rebuild, bodywork touch-up and full detailing are complete later this summer, I'll post some more pictures. If anyone is in the Boston area and wants to view/drive her, PM me and we can rendezvous.

Hawk
Absolutely amazing story. Your creativity and desire to preserve this piece of history is to be commended. Thanks for sharing.

Dick
2022 992 GT3 - Shark Blue, 6-speed manual, LWBs
2021 Cayenne GTS Coupe - Carmine Red / Houndstooth interior

lkeigwin
Spectacular car and a very entertaining story. I'm nowhere near Boston so I can't take advantage of a very generous offer.

Ship her to Montery CA and I'll arrange a private day at world-famous Laguna Seca racetrack. Drive her as fast or slow as you'd like with no worry about other cars. That would be an unforgettable memory!
Lance.

Now:
'97 993 turbo GP white

Then:
'66 912 irish green
'73 911T guards red
'84 911 cab guards red
'88 911 T-L targa dia blue
'89 911 black
'93 968 cab glacier white
'95 993 C2 guards red
'95 993 C2 oak green