Used Macan S vs Turbo

Talk and tech about the Porsche Macan (all years)
kapetajr
johnb wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:38 am
Tom wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:54 am Did you see @kapetajr's sapphire blue thread? The turbo is begging for hot-rodder mods. That could be a good thing or a bad thing I guess if you just want a reliable daily driver SUV (especially for those of us who have a hard time leaving good enough alone). I'm starting to think the turbo would make a nice replacement for my GMC Canyon as a daily driver. :)
Yeah I have skimmed it...I am definitely going to keep whatever I get stock though! Honestly even with my 944 being totally stock I struggle to keep everything up to date. It's beyond me where people find the time to maintain heavily modified cars.
It's a hobby. I enjoy the journey. (Reasearch parts, Order then waiting for parts, installing them, going for a test drive to see if you can notice/feel the difference).

2015 Macan Turbo - Sapphire Blue, AS, SC, PASM
- GAS Stage 1 ECU& PDK tune, GAS Catch Can kit and more
https://carpokes.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=548

johnb
kapetajr wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:35 pm
johnb wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:38 am
Tom wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:54 am Did you see @kapetajr's sapphire blue thread? The turbo is begging for hot-rodder mods. That could be a good thing or a bad thing I guess if you just want a reliable daily driver SUV (especially for those of us who have a hard time leaving good enough alone). I'm starting to think the turbo would make a nice replacement for my GMC Canyon as a daily driver. :)
Yeah I have skimmed it...I am definitely going to keep whatever I get stock though! Honestly even with my 944 being totally stock I struggle to keep everything up to date. It's beyond me where people find the time to maintain heavily modified cars.

(Reasearch parts, Order then waiting for parts, installing them, going for a test drive to see if you can notice/feel the difference).
Yeah but I have to do all that stuff too, just to get any car to work properly lol! On a serious note though, I do get it, I just don't personally have the time.

Thanks for the info on the Macans. Honestly the power doesn't mean that much to me. I'm not going to get the chance to use it and the S is plenty fast. So it comes down to other stuff. The Turbo is a much better colour combo. White is my favourite for Porches. I do like beige interiors, but that S was made for someone who likes nothing else.

On the other hand, the S has 30k less miles. I suppose I should look at the Turbo at least.

johnb
Going to try and look at the Turbo tomorrow. But I realized something else. The S just had the transfer case replaced under the 7 year extended warranty. If that hasn't been done with the Turbo, then it's too late now. So that could be a risk. How common is the transfer case issue? I drove the S when it still had the issue and it was really bad.

johnb
I just drove the Turbo. It's definitely a nice car. I don't know which way I'll go. The S definitely feels newer. It feels almost like a new car. There's nothing wrong with the Turbo, but I just don't know if it's quite as fresh.

I've noticed that there's a difference in the smoothness of gear changes across the various Macans I've driven. One car being sold by the Porsche dealer here had a distinct clunk that you could feel through the chassis whenever the clutch disengaged after stopping. The dealer told me "that's totally normal". But the S I linked to earlier is buttery smooth. You never feel anything shifting up or down, or when stopping. The Turbo today was definitely pretty good too, but not as smooth as the S. I have no idea what causes this difference.

The power didn't blow me away, but I could feel a difference. The brakes in the Turbo are much better. They're not nearly as new as the ones on the S, but they feel way more powerful.

The Turbo is a much better colour combo. And it's the only Turbo I've seen for sale in the few months that I've been looking. So I'm tempted.

Hawk
Difficult decision but, you can not go wrong whichever one you decide on. I have to disagree with the dealer who said that the "clunk" that you could feel through the chassis whenever the clutch disengaged after stoping was "totally normal." We had our Macan S for 4 years and it was always "buttery smooth."

Good luck with the decision and let us know which one you decide on.

Dick
2022 992 GT3 - Shark Blue, 6-speed manual, LWBs
2021 Cayenne GTS Coupe - Carmine Red / Houndstooth interior

kapetajr
Hawk wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:14 pm . I have to disagree with the dealer who said that the "clunk" that you could feel through the chassis whenever the clutch disengaged after stoping was "totally normal."

Agreed. 100% bullshit on the clunk whenever the clutch disengages being normal.

I will say that in my experience the GTS's and Turbos have a bit more "kick/push" when the transmission upshifts and downshifts, you can definitely feel a stiffer "kick/push" sport and sport+

Good luck with your decision and please spend the couple hundred bucks to get a PPI done before you spend the cash.👍🏿

johnb
Thanks for the info. Yeah it was obvious when I drove the nice S that the Porsche dealer was full of crap, there's no way he thought that was normal. I didn't get any bad feelings about the Turbo, and I think I am kind of leaning that way now. The rarity of it just makes me want to jump on it while it's there. The S cars will always be easy to find. Either way I'll definitely get a PPI and both dealers are fine with that.

johnb
I made what I thought was a pretty reasonable offer on the S, but they turned it down and didn't make a counter offer. I do prefer the S just due to it being a newer, fresher feeling car over all. But I'm debating whether to make another offer now or move on. It doesn't sound like they're interested in making a deal. But it is the best one I've seen so far.

kapetajr
johnb wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:27 am I made what I thought was a pretty reasonable offer on the S, but they turned it down and didn't make a counter offer. I do prefer the S just due to it being a newer, fresher feeling car over all. But I'm debating whether to make another offer now or move on. It doesn't sound like they're interested in making a deal. But it is the best one I've seen so far.
If you aren't in any rush, I'd say keep looking. Have you considered expanding your search Area?. It might be worth driving/ taking a flight to get something you really want. If you buy this S will you still like it in 6 months to a year or will you wish/want something that had more options?

johnb
kapetajr wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:57 pm
johnb wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:27 am I made what I thought was a pretty reasonable offer on the S, but they turned it down and didn't make a counter offer. I do prefer the S just due to it being a newer, fresher feeling car over all. But I'm debating whether to make another offer now or move on. It doesn't sound like they're interested in making a deal. But it is the best one I've seen so far.
If you aren't in any rush, I'd say keep looking. Have you considered expanding your search Area?. It might be worth driving/ taking a flight to get something you really want. If you buy this S will you still like it in 6 months to a year or will you wish/want something that had more options?
Looking further afield is probably the best thing to do, but I decided early on that I just can't be bothered with that right now. I've done that before and the hassle of trying to evaluate a car from a long way away is just not worth it to me at the moment. I've now driven around 10 or so, and the difference between some of them is night and day, and there was no way I could have known without driving them myself.

I've reached an agreement with the seller of the blue S and I'm taking it for an inspection tomorrow. If all goes well I'll buy it. I don't really have any deal breaker options in mind anyway. The tow bar might be nice to have - not a very common option. I don't care that it doesn't have PASM because I've driven 2 cars with that now and I'm convinced it does nothing! There is something different about the seats in this car. The leather feels and looks softer. I don't see anything in the options list for that but I've noticed it both times that I've looked at the car.