Modern Turbo Upgrades

Talk and Tech about turbocharged 924/944/968 cars
Fast951
BigRatchet wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:41 pm I spoke with Charlie on the phone earlier and I will be sending my turbo out to him, We had a great conversation and he told me @blade7 that yes he used to build some of the Vitesse turbos he'll be able to tell once the turbo is with him. Now time to check off some other items on the list before it ships back :D
Don't believe everything you hear. There are 2 sides to every story, not going into the details.

Charlie is the KKK guy to go to. Good luck with your rebuild!

333pg333
People used to grumble why John wouldn't discuss details about his turbos and other aspects of his kits. They'd complain how expensive they were. But I have to say I have no problem with this. It's all iP and really , if you make a product that works very well then people can choose to buy it or not. I've never heard anyone who bought a Vitesse kit and were disappointed. I ran a Stage 5 turbo on my old 2.5 8v which was pretty much a standard motor and it actually worked well. It was designed for a modified 3lt so any lag was understood. I can't even remember how much the kits were/are but even at $5k they're relatively cheap compared to alternatives. I've done the alternative and can assure you that it's often a LOT more expensive.

blade7
Who was the brains behind the software...

SirLapsalot
four0four wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 pm
SirLapsalot wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:35 pm
four0four wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

They still are, I think: https://tialsport-outlet.com/collection ... -mount-kit

I picked one up a while back - it won't come w/bolts and requires per TiAL (all SHCS iirc):

6 pcs M10x1.5x25mm
3 pcs M8x1.25x15 or 16mm

And then to mount turbo M8x1.25x25mm and 50mm. Drain on the bottom side is 3/8 npt (I fit some -8 adapters just fine, but clearance is tight!).
Which turbo do you have mounted to the tail?
At the moment it's not even on the car :D I'm one of the guys with an Evergreen K26, and it's been pretty damn fun.

Picked one up because I wasn't sure how long they'd be available. I like to entertain fantasies about a Garett twin scroll :)
Ah ok understood.

I've had trouble following all of the information surrounding that mount as well as the CEP version. Most info I can find is old but, it seems like there were multiple versions.
- One which could have interference issues with the steering shaft if you had non-OE engine mounts.
- Another which maybe fixed that steering shaft issue, and/or a version CEP modified and sold?

Then it also seems like there's maybe clearance issues with the oil drain hole for an AN fitting? And finally it seems like the mount was originally designed to work with a particular Garrett turbo, (G30?). So if you ran something larger you'd have to modify things yet again?

So anyway, I'm curious what mount solutions people are using for larger/alternative to bold-on, turbos. I like the BW EFR turbos but if I'd have to hack up a billet mount anyway then I'd rather just keep the OE mount and modify it. I'm not a big fan of the fact that the Tial mount is 4 pieces held together with all those bolts anyway, so for me, it would have to be a direct bolt-on with no modification necessary to be beneficial over modifying the OE mount. I can't seem to find much info on what people are doing to fit off the shelve aftermarket turbos though.

333pg333
blade7 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:21 am Who was the brains behind the software...
Does it matter?

blade7
333pg333 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:15 pm
blade7 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:21 am Who was the brains behind the software...
Does it matter?
Not now.

BigRatchet
333pg333 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:00 am People used to grumble why John wouldn't discuss details about his turbos and other aspects of his kits. They'd complain how expensive they were. But I have to say I have no problem with this. It's all iP and really , if you make a product that works very well then people can choose to buy it or not. I've never heard anyone who bought a Vitesse kit and were disappointed. I ran a Stage 5 turbo on my old 2.5 8v which was pretty much a standard motor and it actually worked well. It was designed for a modified 3lt so any lag was understood. I can't even remember how much the kits were/are but even at $5k they're relatively cheap compared to alternatives. I've done the alternative and can assure you that it's often a LOT more expensive.
No doubt here, I for sure would've went through John but I already purchased this turbo and I'm sure he himself wouldn't want this Stage 3R to go to waste, if he had the materials for the repair without a doubt I'd send it out. I've read forums for the past year about both sides and their great work on the 951 platform and last thing I want to do is breakout a 944 civil war !!! :lol:

Boostfeen
Isn’t that the truth about this amazing platform, as soon as you start modding it and the recipe list gets longer and longer you have what amounts to 68,000 different outcomes or flavors on the ingredients list…… Then come all the critics and some can be down right nasty; positive feedback or negative feedback is wanted if you have run it but if you haven’t then no rights.

On the topic of turbos I have a rebuilt bye majestic Lindsey super 53/8 turbo that was used on their 340hp kit on the 2.5 program. I’ve been told bye a well know tuner that it’s not great for the 3liter 8 valve motor! I’ve had both a super 61/10 and super 61/8 on different 3 liter motor setups but also with different tuning and I preferred the quicker spool of the 8 and that motor made 457hp. Does this sound like that’s right? Is it the map or flow characteristics that don’t like the 500 extra cc with larger 2.7 head? Or what am I missing as it’s the next size up from a k27 platform so what’s the downside for trying to make 400ish with this Lindsey super 53/8

Thanks for the help