Locking keys in car

Tech and Talk about the Panamera!
Roettges
Hey All. Appreciate the help. I’m a new 2023 panamera gts owner. I surf regularly and am trying to figure out how to leave my keys in a LOCKED car while I’m in the water. In other vehicles I could lock the electronic key in the car and use a physical key I kept in my bathing suit to open the car when I got back. I can’t figure out how to do this with my panamera.

The emergency key will open the car if the electronic keys are not in it. But if I “trick” the car into locking the keys in the trunk, the emergency key doesn’t seem to unlock the car. Also, if I leave the electronic key in the car and use the emergency key to lock the door it will lock. But the emergency key will not then unlock the car.

Does anyone know how to leave the key in a locked car and then open with a physical key?? Any other work around??

Thanks

blueline
That's a unique scenario that I've never considered. It seems as though you've thought through it well and have tried the various options.

The following para out of a 2024 Cayenne owner's manual would seem to indicate that it's not possible:

"If the key is inside the vehicle when you lock it, the vehicle is unlocked again. Several warning signals sound and the vehicle flashes four times. The vehicle is locked only if a door or the rear lid is not opened within approx. 45 seconds. In this case, it can only be unlocked using a second key. Make sure that the vehicle key is not left inside the vehicle when locking it."

Please let us know if you figure it out.

Meanwhile, welcome to Carpokes!

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

Tom
Site Admin
How did you unlock the car after learning that the emergency key won't open the car when the electronic key is inside? I'd play around with my car, but don't want to get locked out. :)

It may well be impossible based on Tim's comment, but I'd be inclined to turn off comfort access, if you have it, and see if that changes the behavior? Comfort access drove me nuts when I first got my car, constantly unlocking the doors as I worked in the garage and never seeming to open the doors when I wanted. User error I'm sure, but turning it off in the PCM made the key work much more like a 'normal' key. Just a thought. There is also a section in the manual about locking the car when someone is inside, which might be relevant? If none of that works, maybe a waterproof key box is the best you can do...

Tom
Site Admin
How about taking the battery out of the key, or putting it in a faraday box, so the car can't detect that the key is inside?

Roettges
Thanks for the various replies. It seems a faraday box with a bit of magnet tape to use as a hide a key is my best option.

Talked to multiple Porsche dealerships and doesn’t seem to be other work around.

And in response to how I got car back unlocked once emergency key wouldn’t open, I used the other electronic key.

Thanks!

P_Coastal
Button sequence on key will disable E&D as well. Below is for my 718, check your Panamera Manual.
Used in combination with a hidden key box may give you a solution. If the box is also a faraday box, that’s another layer of protection. Cybersecurity concept 😎
IMG_2445.jpeg
IMG_2445.jpeg (263.73 KiB) Viewed 106 times

2023 Porsche 718 Cayman (Chalk / Leather interior in Black/Bordeaux Red) My Config:
viewtopic.php?p=7560#p7560