718 PSE Exhaust Valve Rattle (SOLUTION)

Including the Spyder, GT4, and GT4RS
71eh
Reigning Avatar Champion
Hey everyone... I recently took delivery of my new 718 Cayman Style, and as anticipated, the PSE exhaust valve started rattling. Apparently it's a VERY common issue... Some people can't hear it, but I am annoyingly ultra sensitive to rattles and squeaks, so I knew this would be an issue I would face.

Here is a video of the rattle:

The issue: Look at the following image: There is a gap that gives lateral movement, which is causing this annoying rattle anytime the value opens (which is at 2000rpm, or when you manually open/close the valve).

234.jpg
234.jpg (30.32 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Photo thanks to 718s From 718Forum

Previously solutions from researching the forums

1) Have the exhaust replaced under warranty. Yes, but it's a design issue, so chances are it will come back, which it has done with a few people who have had their exhaust replaced.

2) Grease it up... Nope, it will still rattle.

3) Copper wire wrapped around so that gap (in the picture) does not move....

Today I found a solution that has worked so far! And it cost less than $5.00

The idea is to close that gap so it can still freely move, but is tight enough so there is no longer any lateral movement.

I bought 2 clips from Lowe's (99 cents each), and some anti-seize metal grease).

Slid them on, greased em' up just to make sure they move freely, and BAM! No more rattle! Quiet as a mouse!

345.png
345.png (15.95 MiB) Viewed 491 times

Day 2... Still no Rattle!

giphy.gif
giphy.gif (3.32 MiB) Viewed 487 times

'24 Porsche 718 Cayman
'21 Mercedes AMG GTR
'76 Triumph TR6
'23 Porsche Macan GTS (sold)
'22 AMG CLS53 (sold)
'22 AMG CLA45 (sold)
'20 AMG c63s (sold)

J-Dub
Hey, great solution. I saw on a another forum people used a different style clip, it is a wire clip called a hairpin. I bought some and they broke as I was pressing them over the shaft. So I did the high temp ceramic brake parts grease. That helped but did not solve.

There is a Lowes a mile from my house, mind sharing the part name/number from Lowes so I can duplicate your results? The car is on jack stands right now since I am getting new track tires mounted.

From you picture, I assume it is the "E" clip and not the cir-clip.

1957 VW Beetle
2004 VW R32
2021 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0

71eh
Reigning Avatar Champion
J-Dub wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:20 am Hey, great solution. I saw on a another forum people used a different style clip, it is a wire clip called a hairpin. I bought some and they broke as I was pressing them over the shaft. So I did the high temp ceramic brake parts grease. That helped but did not solve.

There is a Lowes a mile from my house, mind sharing the part name/number from Lowes so I can duplicate your results? The car is on jack stands right now since I am getting new track tires mounted.

For sure. When I get home I will post a picture of the plastic baggy they came in. I ended up using the E-clips. Much easier to get on lol, and they just have a better fit.

'24 Porsche 718 Cayman
'21 Mercedes AMG GTR
'76 Triumph TR6
'22 AMG CLS53 (sold)
'22 AMG CLA45 (sold)
'20 AMG c63s (sold)

71eh
Reigning Avatar Champion
J-Dub wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:20 am Hey, great solution. I saw on a another forum people used a different style clip, it is a wire clip called a hairpin. I bought some and they broke as I was pressing them over the shaft. So I did the high temp ceramic brake parts grease. That helped but did not solve.

Do you know if there is a method for disabling the PSE valve? So it just stays open 100% of the time.... just curious

'24 Porsche 718 Cayman
'21 Mercedes AMG GTR
'76 Triumph TR6
'22 AMG CLS53 (sold)
'22 AMG CLA45 (sold)
'20 AMG c63s (sold)

Tom
Site Admin
71eh wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:27 am

Do you know if there is a method for disabling the PSE valve? So it just stays open 100% of the time.... just curious
Our Track Nanny has an always open mode. :) The valve opens when the connector gets 12v on its control pin, so if you intercept the control signal from the ECU and just replace it with a constant 12 volts, the valve will stay open all the time. I've also made a few 'always open' switches for people who didn't want/need all the GPS stuff in the Track Nanny.

71eh
Reigning Avatar Champion
Tom wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:14 am

Our Track Nanny has an always open mode. :) The valve opens when the connector gets 12v on its control pin, so if you intercept the control signal from the ECU and just replace it with a constant 12 volts, the valve will stay open all the time. I've also made a few 'always open' switches for people who didn't want/need all the GPS stuff in the Track Nanny.
You don't say... hmm. These 'always open' switches work on the base/style 718s?

Is it hard to install?

'24 Porsche 718 Cayman
'21 Mercedes AMG GTR
'76 Triumph TR6
'22 AMG CLS53 (sold)
'22 AMG CLA45 (sold)
'20 AMG c63s (sold)

Tom
Site Admin
71eh wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:17 am
Tom wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:14 am

You don't say... hmm. These 'always open' switches work on the base/style 718s?

Is it hard to install?
Yes, they work on all 718's :) See the Track Nanny here:

https://carpokes.com/viewtopic.php?t=25

See the simple switch here:

https://carpokes.com/viewtopic.php?t=1660

Installing on a base 718 follows the same basic outline as the GT4 and GTS, but obviously the parts under the hood will differ. It may be easier on the base model actually, since you may not have to move the intake plumbing like on the GT cars, but I don't really know for sure either way. Here are written instructions and a video on installing the Track Nanny. The simple switch is essentially the same, just with a different head unit.

viewtopic.php?t=1405

viewtopic.php?t=883

J-Dub
Solutions to disable PSE, not nearly as slick and sophisticated as Tom has shown.

Always Loud: unplug the vacuum line from the actuator and plug the end of the line with a golf tee or whatever you have around.

Always Quiet: hold the linkage closed with safety wire or like I did here:

Partial loud: google the "collar mod", essentially this limits the travel of the servo arm so that it cannot close all the way.

My desired long term solution: A three mode switch that has Always Loud, always quiet and factory programing.

1957 VW Beetle
2004 VW R32
2021 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0

Tom
Site Admin
J-Dub wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:05 pm
My desired long term solution: A three mode switch that has Always Loud, always quiet and factory programing.
Give me a day or two and I'll post instructions on how to make that switch. The schematic is super simple, the only trick is knowing the connectors/pins to use so you can intercept the signal going to the PSE solenoid without cutting anything.

71eh
Reigning Avatar Champion

Here are the ones I bought....

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-1-4-in-E-Clips/3050745

The tricky part is, just 1 won't work. You have to mess around with different sizes. I found that 2 clips, 3/8 inch, fit... I am going to try to find 1 really thin one, because there is the slightest play with 2 E-clips on it. If I can fit 1 thin one on and it moves freely, then perfect.

I am finding these are the best solution, as they stay on, and will never break. Just need to get the sizing right.

'24 Porsche 718 Cayman
'21 Mercedes AMG GTR
'76 Triumph TR6
'22 AMG CLS53 (sold)
'22 AMG CLA45 (sold)
'20 AMG c63s (sold)