944S in Canada - long in the tooth project

Tech and talk about all 16 valve 944 and 968 Cars
blueline
@500

Wow! That's incredible! I never fail to be impressed by the work that so many on Carpokes can do.

Regarding posting pictures, yours from a 3rd party hosting site are taking a long time to load via the individual urls. I have a feeling that some viewing your post may not realize that there are pics and will navigate off the screen before seeing the work you've accomplished.

Carpokes hosts photos internally, so no need to use a third party photo site. It's an outstanding feature to have for all of us. Here's the link to a photo posting guide Tom put together if you choose to go that route.

viewtopic.php?t=410

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

blueline wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:43 pm ...

Carpokes hosts photos internally, so no need to use a third party photo site. It's an outstanding feature to have for all of us. Here's the link to a photo posting guide Tom put together if you choose to go that route.

viewtopic.php?t=410
Thank you very much for that tip! I just edited the last post I did to use the internal attachments instead. I will do that going forward, and (gradually) edit the rest of the existing posts to have direct picture attachments.

WillyDaP
No sure how I missed this either but I am sure we are now all awaiting the finish date on your " New " 944S! Nice to know Tom is going to put " Black Beauty " in the newsletter as the car is stunning and the story is a fun read. This long in the tooth project would be even more dramatic if you were a Dentist as you show a lot of patience, ha!

2024 Chalk Cayman GTS
2020 White Macan S
2013 Blue/White Viper GTS Launch Edition
2022 Silver Ram W1500 Laramie CrewCab

gruhsy
Fantastic work!

Well done 👍

The slow drip-drip-drip of progress continues.

I freshened up the cosmetics of the cruise control unit with re-plated hardware and new isolation bushings.
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG (3.83 MiB) Viewed 282 times
IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 282 times
I will leave the connection of the cable to the unit until after the motor is in.
Fiddled around with a few more vacuum lines and the engine room is getting close to ready for the engine installation.
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 282 times
One thing I had started to worry about on the engine was the timing belt age. On the one hand, it was an unused belt, but it was one of the first things I had purchased after buying the car (when I was still under the delusion that I was just going to do a small amount of maintenance and then drive it!)

The belt was purchased from an aftermarket outfit (Vertex, I think), so not OEM, but decent quality I’m sure. However, my fear was that the years of sitting may have impacted the belt. Visibly and in terms of tactile feel, I could not detect any issue, but these cars are so “sensitive” to belts. In the end, I decided to play it safe and get a new belt. This time I went with an actual OEM belt, and it has a manufacturing date of 2022, so I should be OK.
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0250.JPG (3.01 MiB) Viewed 282 times
So that was the last thing I did on the car over the weekend, swapping out the belts.

NCGermerican
500 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:03 am The slow drip-drip-drip of progress continues.

I freshened up the cosmetics of the cruise control unit with re-plated hardware and new isolation bushings.
Do you re-plate yourself? I tried the "DIY" Zinc and Yellow Chromate plating myself using various online tutorials, but I could never get the chromate to stick to the zinc plating. Plus, I really didn't like tying up valuable work bench space for a chemistry set.

1987 951 - Nautic Blue over Linen
1987 944 S - Nautic Blue over Linen
2015 Audi RS5 Sepang Blue (Daily)
2023 Durango R/T AWD - Destroyer Grey (Wife's Daily)
2013 Audi A5 Quattro - Brilliant Black (Son's daily once he turns 16)

I did look into "home" plating, and I decided against it, as it seemed very difficult to be able to get good results.

I am fortunate that there is a plating company about 45 minutes away that will take small jobs (they are an industrial outfit).

They are quite professional, they do a post-bake for hydrogen embrittlement and give me the paperwork. I seem to end up going there about once a year. They are a very old-school feeling plant, and their website has a "1995" feel, but I really like them. For anyone in the Toronto area, they are M&M Plating: http://www.mmplating.com/

In the past their website has sometimes been down for extended periods, but they are in business. My most recent batch of parts was done this past January.

Address: 100 Barbados Blvd, Scarborough, ON M1J 1K7, Canada
Phone: +1 (416) 267-5811

This week’s list of odd jobs completed:

I reassembled the manual steering rack components that had been painted. Although it was greased from the factory (it is a brand-new rack) I went ahead and purchased a small tube of the correct grease from a VW dealership and went over everything, just to make sure.
IMG_0289.JPG
IMG_0289.JPG (3.62 MiB) Viewed 221 times
The windshield washer system had been messed around with a fair bit in this car’s prior life. The passenger-side check valve was connected the wrong way (with plastic zip ties), the pump was a different style to OEM that was just zip-tied loosely in place, and the return tube going into the tank had been plugged shut with a bolt.
IMG_0274.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG (2.7 MiB) Viewed 221 times
To remedy all that, a repair kit and extra hose was purchased from 944online. The pump is an aftermarket URO item, which seems to have mixed reviews, but hopefully it will be fine for a decent while.
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG (2.5 MiB) Viewed 221 times
Tested the original jets with a syringe and they seemed fine, so went ahead and installed and clamped in all the lines. It looks complete and correct; however, I still have to connect the heating wires and under-hood light. It seems I de-pinned all five wires from the female housing of the inline 6 pole connector that goes in the hood, but have no idea what I did with that housing. Fortunately, they are still available, so I have one on order.
IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 221 times
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0277.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 221 times
In between, I was also able to install the AC condenser air ducting as well as new hood insulation pads.
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG (2.15 MiB) Viewed 221 times
Finally, popped the wheel well liners back in. Quite pleased with how they look actually.
IMG_0288.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 221 times
Last edited by 500 on Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

NCGermerican
500 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:08 am This week’s list of odd jobs completed:

I reassembled the manual steering rack components that had been painted. Although it was greased from the factory (it is a brand-new rack) I went ahead and purchased a small tube of the correct grease from a VW dealership and went over everything, just to make sure.

IMG_0289.JPG

The windshield washer system had been messed around with a fair bit in this car’s prior life. The passenger-side check valve was connected the wrong way (with plastic zip ties), the pump was a different style to OEM that was just zip-tied loosely in place, and the return tube going into the tank had been plugged shut with a bolt.

IMG_0274.JPG

To remedy all that, a repair kit and extra hose was purchased from 944online. The pump is an aftermarket URO item, which seems to have mixed reviews, but hopefully it will be fine for a decent while.

IMG_0273.JPG

Tested the original jets with a syringe and they seemed fine, so went ahead and installed and clamped in all the lines. It looks complete and correct; however, I still have to connect the heating wires and under-hood light. It seems I de-pinned all five wires from the female housing of the inline 6 pole connector that goes in the hood, but have no idea what I did with that housing. Fortunately, they are still available, so I have one on order.

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

In between, I was also able to install the AC condenser air ducting as well as new hood insulation pads.

IMG_0285.JPG

Finally, popped the wheel well lines back in. Quite pleased with how they look actually.

IMG_0288.JPG
I'm going through the same issues with the windshield washer system in my 87 S. I installed the same kit from 944online, found (what I think) was a good set of squirters from ebay. Hooked it all up and.......nothing. Pump seems to work, but I have a feeling either the squirters are wrong or one of the check valves is stuck or backwards. Now I get to cut off all those Oetiker clamps again and see where the flow stops.

I'm really enjoying your progress on this car. Keep it coming!

1987 951 - Nautic Blue over Linen
1987 944 S - Nautic Blue over Linen
2015 Audi RS5 Sepang Blue (Daily)
2023 Durango R/T AWD - Destroyer Grey (Wife's Daily)
2013 Audi A5 Quattro - Brilliant Black (Son's daily once he turns 16)

P_Coastal
I am in awe of what it takes to tackle a project such as this :clap:

2023 Porsche 718 Cayman (Chalk / Leather interior in Black/Bordeaux Red) My Config:
viewtopic.php?p=7560#p7560