2016 GT4 Rotor Suggestions

Including Spyders & GT4s
WillyDaP
Nice write up and photos and I can't imagine how quickly I will destroy my Cayman GTS rotors , especially since they are smaller than the GT4s. Girodisc offers a 350mm two piece rotor replacement so I will likely be getting a set of those fairly quickly or maybe a set from AP Racing like Tim is using.
Last edited by WillyDaP on Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Chalk Cayman GTS
2020 White Macan S
2013 Blue/White Viper GTS Launch Edition
2022 Silver Ram W1500 Laramie CrewCab

blueline
WillyDaP wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:58 pm Nice write up and photos and I can't imagine how quickly I will destroy my Cayman GTS rotors , especially since they are smaller than the GT4s , also. Girodisc offers a 350mm two piece rotor replacement so I will likely be getting a set of those fairly quickly or maybe a set from AP Racing like Tim is using.
I think you'll eat them up quickly - I'm in tune with how you drive! :lol:

Are you planning on running out the stock pads with the OEM rotors? If it were me (and I realize it's not) I'd either swap out the OEM rotors and pads before track days start OR go with the OEM setups for a few track days until shot and then swap to your new rotors and new pads of whatever pads you're planning on using. New (and old) rotors don't like different pad materials deposited on them and mixed in without burning off the old material. (Getting old pad burnish material off rotors is easier said than done.)

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

WillyDaP
Thanks for the thoughts, as I will likely just destroy the factory poseur rotors getting the feel of the car and then replace them with Girodiscs or AP Racing. I was hoping to get a set of EBC SR11 Sintered pads as I just did a pad test for them last year, but it does not appear they are making them for a Cayman. I am good friends with Danny Puskar ( owner ) at G-Loc and will probably go with a set of those first as I ave used his pads since the company opened its doors. They wear a little faster than some, but they are easy on slotted two piece rotors. Sounds like the rears are going along for the ride , so did you happen to just replace the fronts with AP Racing Rotors and then after the rear holy rotors gave up the ghost, put on a new set of APs?

2024 Chalk Cayman GTS
2020 White Macan S
2013 Blue/White Viper GTS Launch Edition
2022 Silver Ram W1500 Laramie CrewCab

blueline
WillyDaP wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:08 pm Thanks for the thoughts, as I will likely just destroy the factory poseur rotors getting the feel of the car and then replace them with Girodiscs or AP Racing. I was hoping to get a set of EBC SR11 Sintered pads as I just did a pad test for them last year, but it does not appear they are making them for a Cayman. I am good friends with Danny Puskar ( owner ) at G-Loc and will probably go with a set of those first as I ave used his pads since the company opened its doors. They wear a little faster than some, but they are easy on slotted two piece rotors. Sounds like the rears are going along for the ride , so did you happen to just replace the fronts with AP Racing Rotors and then after the rear holy rotors gave up the ghost, put on a new set of APs?
I went with new all the way around - rotors and pads. I paid Essex to burnish the new rotors with Ferodo DS3.12 pad material on their machine to ensure proper material transfer. They also requested that I use new Ferodo DS3.12 pads with the new rotors, explaining that putting used Ferodo pads afterwards would be fine. They just wanted the new pads with the newly machine-bedded rotors to start out.

While the rears were still serviceable, I wasn't that impressed with the OEM braking (not to mention the rotor wear) so that obviously played into the decision.

But beyond that, I would have done all four corners anyway as I always prefer matched components whenever possible (and whenever not ridiculously wasteful), especially with brakes and tires. They are the two most important components, at least in my feeble mind. :angel:

Rears do some work (maybe partially due to the extra weight they carry in the Cayman?) but yes, the fronts carry the water as expected.

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region