Project status....

Talk and Tech about turbocharged 924/944/968 cars
michaelmount123
72634177615__21DB06E2-291D-42B7-AB8E-669975DAC813.jpeg
72634177615__21DB06E2-291D-42B7-AB8E-669975DAC813.jpeg (514.65 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
72634174269__A41EF500-2CD4-4044-86AE-E1F0A1CC06C8.jpeg
72634174269__A41EF500-2CD4-4044-86AE-E1F0A1CC06C8.jpeg (547.44 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
72634178997__5365C84F-B864-4922-BB63-D8449920FA34.jpeg
72634178997__5365C84F-B864-4922-BB63-D8449920FA34.jpeg (540.05 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
1987-porsche-944-gtr-fabcar.jpeg
1987-porsche-944-gtr-fabcar.jpeg (409.26 KiB) Viewed 1480 times

Jay Wellwood
I'd be a damn liar if I said I knew in detail what I'm looking at.

OTOH - I recognize a beast in the making when I see one.

Jay

Several Krauts and a Rice burner
...looking for a Meatball

Proudly qualified in Submarines
USS Casimir Pulasksi (SSBN 633)

Thom
The First Carpoke!
Thanks for sharing. What is the maximum cfm at peak valve lift on those GTR heads?

'90 944T - modified somehow

SirLapsalot
That looks pretty epic.

HSR or SVRA??

Tom
Site Admin
Looks incredible. At the risk of focusing on trivial details, I've never noticed that oil filter mount before. It looks like a Porsche part. Was that a special casting for those motors?

four0four
Tom wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:06 am Looks incredible. At the risk of focusing on trivial details, I've never noticed that oil filter mount before. It looks like a Porsche part. Was that a special casting for those motors?
Hey, that also stood out to me!

...And the head, perhaps more obviously too. I assume the water channels aren't the biggest difference there...

michaelmount123
There are several questions that are on point, but I can't yet answer them. Although I've visited the project several times, it's currently 650 miles from me, so I don't yet have intimate knowledge of most of the systems. I'm charged with getting the car back on the track, then making it as quick as can be. It performed well at the recent Rennsport, finishing among the 935's, and ahead of most. That said, although it also showed potential back in its race days, I predict that today's technologies, my own knowledge base, and a sound budget can allow it to perform impressively, and be reliable to boot.

The engine and car delivered passed through several owners and has an unknown racetrack history. Although it ran well in Monterey, the (new) spare engine will be dyno tested, converted to MoTeC engine management, and tuned for endurance running. According to Alwin Springer (Andial), this engine is the latest iteration and makes 575hp at 1.5 bar. It still ran on the very early Motronic ECU, which I've got to presume is nowhere near as stable, nor as adjustable modern MoTeC controls. The current turbocharger (also from the mid-80's) is being reconditioned now, and a modern replacement is being sought. The original will be reinstalled for the initial testing on the dyno, then swapped to the anticipated modern replacement. This back-to-back test scenario will be the basis of all initial testing on the track to avoid going backwards and not even knowing it. This means, once the engine is back in the car, track testing will begin with what the car was designed with. Bias ply slicks on 16 inch wheels, ancient (rebuilt) Penske double adjustable shocks, original brakes, original intercooler will all be in place. This way, one change at a time can be made and evaluated on it's own merits.

The engine is a very unique and special piece. Many have noticed that both the block and the head are unique castings from Porsche. I'll be evaluating and investigating the original engine in the shop to discover it's tricks and determine where potential improvement can be made. Alwin Springer indicated it was the cylinder head that woke the latest GTR engine up. Porsche sent him a bare casting which allowed him to create his own combustion chamber, valve arrangement, and ports. Yes, extensive camshaft evaluation and cylinder head flow testing will be done to discover what Andial has done. One decision to be made is whether to upgrade to a 4V head. A no-brainer? Time will tell. I've got to think the 7600rpm red line on the GTR is simply a result of the 2V head running out of air-flow, where the 4V head has no such restriction. Improving the old platform is the goal, of course, but with endurance in mind, direction will be far different from the efforts to prepare engines for one lap (Time Attack), or one mile. My background in 944 engine development, my own GTR (3.1L NA 4V) race program, and particularly 4V induction and exhaust development should be helpful.

I find this program fascinating. I plan to document the effort here on Carpokes, answer questions, and provide lots of photos. I'll keep this up as long as there's interest. BTW, if you see this GTR at the track, either testing or at HSR events, stop by and say hello. There will also be 996 Cup, 997 Daytona Cup, 944 Turbo Cup, and even Ford Mustang GT cars under the tent. Something will pique your interest.
MM

SirLapsalot
Much excite.

Very much look forward watching the progression of this one.

Who will do the engine calibration? Will it be M1 series? Custom firmware or GP package?

Tom
Site Admin
michaelmount123 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:36 pm There are several questions that are on point, but I can't yet answer them. Although I've visited the project several times, it's currently 650 miles from me, so I don't yet have intimate knowledge of most of the systems. I'm charged with getting the car back on the track, then making it as quick as can be. It performed well at the recent Rennsport, finishing among the 935's, and ahead of most. That said, although it also showed potential back in its race days, I predict that today's technologies, my own knowledge base, and a sound budget can allow it to perform impressively, and be reliable to boot.

The engine and car delivered passed through several owners and has an unknown racetrack history. Although it ran well in Monterey, the (new) spare engine will be dyno tested, converted to MoTeC engine management, and tuned for endurance running. According to Alwin Springer (Andial), this engine is the latest iteration and makes 575hp at 1.5 bar. It still ran on the very early Motronic ECU, which I've got to presume is nowhere near as stable, nor as adjustable modern MoTeC controls. The current turbocharger (also from the mid-80's) is being reconditioned now, and a modern replacement is being sought. The original will be reinstalled for the initial testing on the dyno, then swapped to the anticipated modern replacement. This back-to-back test scenario will be the basis of all initial testing on the track to avoid going backwards and not even knowing it. This means, once the engine is back in the car, track testing will begin with what the car was designed with. Bias ply slicks on 16 inch wheels, ancient (rebuilt) Penske double adjustable shocks, original brakes, original intercooler will all be in place. This way, one change at a time can be made and evaluated on it's own merits.

The engine is a very unique and special piece. Many have noticed that both the block and the head are unique castings from Porsche. I'll be evaluating and investigating the original engine in the shop to discover it's tricks and determine where potential improvement can be made. Alwin Springer indicated it was the cylinder head that woke the latest GTR engine up. Porsche sent him a bare casting which allowed him to create his own combustion chamber, valve arrangement, and ports. Yes, extensive camshaft evaluation and cylinder head flow testing will be done to discover what Andial has done. One decision to be made is whether to upgrade to a 4V head. A no-brainer? Time will tell. I've got to think the 7600rpm red line on the GTR is simply a result of the 2V head running out of air-flow, where the 4V head has no such restriction. Improving the old platform is the goal, of course, but with endurance in mind, direction will be far different from the efforts to prepare engines for one lap (Time Attack), or one mile. My background in 944 engine development, my own GTR (3.1L NA 4V) race program, and particularly 4V induction and exhaust development should be helpful.

I find this program fascinating. I plan to document the effort here on Carpokes, answer questions, and provide lots of photos. I'll keep this up as long as there's interest. BTW, if you see this GTR at the track, either testing or at HSR events, stop by and say hello. There will also be 996 Cup, 997 Daytona Cup, 944 Turbo Cup, and even Ford Mustang GT cars under the tent. Something will pique your interest.
MM

Very interested in following along -- thanks so much for posting. Several drivers from back in the day said the car had more power than the published specs (with a twist of the dial). Will be very cool to see what MoTec, a modern turbo, and MM magic can accomplish with this car. It's going in the #newsletter. :)

p.s., the tape on the exhaust ports inspired me to post exhaust port covers earlier today. If you want a custom set with your name or whatever, just say the word. :). That said, it sure looks like I'm seeing 4 studs per port on that head.... :shock:

viewtopic.php?t=2638

944m3
Same here. Really interested in the before and after testing with new technology.

Looking forward to reading updates.