Hood problem

Talk and Tech about turbocharged 924/944/968 cars
Tom
Site Admin
The hood should sit flush with the fenders/headlights/nose panel, so I would not try to adjust it to sit higher. If it is hitting the air filter box, then look to see why that box is sitting too high. It sits on top of the air flow meter, which is mounted on little L-shaped brackets that have slots in them. If the AFM is not seated all the way down in those slots, everything will sit up too high. You sure that's what it is hitting?

Belgian951
Tom wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:37 am The hood should sit flush with the fenders/headlights/nose panel, so I would not try to adjust it to sit higher. If it is hitting the air filter box, then look to see why that box is sitting too high. It sits on top of the air flow meter, which is mounted on little L-shaped brackets that have slots in them. If the AFM is not seated all the way down in those slots, everything will sit up too high. You sure that's what it is hitting?
Well without the top of the air filter box, the hood closes without any issue at all. The air flow meter is located to the left of the air box so not under it? The air flow meter also doesn't seem to be mounted on L shaped brackets, but the air box is. That's from memory.. here's a pic of the PET. In any case, I completely restored all the mounting points, meaning that I put new rubbers in the mounts, with the metal sleeves pressed in them. So it should be flush as OEM intended.

I meant adjusting the back of the hood to sit higher so the slope is a bit higher %, hopefully just enough so that the hood doesn't hit the air box.
Screenshot 2023-12-23 165710.png
Screenshot 2023-12-23 165710.png (211.97 KiB) Viewed 470 times
Screenshot 2023-12-23 170157.png
Screenshot 2023-12-23 170157.png (181.74 KiB) Viewed 467 times

1986 944 Turbo Garnet Rot Metallic

Tom
Site Admin
Right, I was referring to the bottom of the air filter box that the AFM is mounted to. They rarely come apart to I tend to think of them as one part, but you are correct. Any chance the air filter itself is not installed right, or that you changed something unintentionally when you restored them? Maybe run a string from fender to fender over the air box to see if it's too high? Maybe post some pictures? Without being there, I'm just speculating, but of course the hood should be able to sit flush with all of its adjacent panels. Is it sitting low toward the windshield?

Belgian951
Tom wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:19 am Right, I was referring to the bottom of the air filter box that the AFM is mounted to. They rarely come apart to I tend to think of them as one part, but you are correct. Any chance the air filter itself is not installed right, or that you changed something unintentionally when you restored them? Maybe run a string from fender to fender over the air box to see if it's too high? Maybe post some pictures? Without being there, I'm just speculating, but of course the hood should be able to sit flush with all of its adjacent panels. Is it sitting low toward the windshield?
I checked my air box again today, and the screws that sit in the L profile were indeed positioned a bit high. I loosened them and pushed them all the way down and retightened. I got a good 2 - 3 mm height reduction from that but the hood still doesn't close correctly with the top + air filter.. Thought I had it though.

I also noticed the clamp of the turbo pipe was sitting on the top (the part you use to tighten it) so I thought maybe that's it, but after re-orienting the clamp, the hood still hits.

I then tried (even though I never touched it) to remove the powersteering reservoir but that also did nothing.

At the moment, the only thing that helps me close the hood is removing the top of the air filter box so I think I need to continue looking there...

Is there some other connection that could make the air filter box sit higher than usual?

here are two pictures of my air filter box L profiles after the adjustment, do they look correct?
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-26 at 21.27.03.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-26 at 21.27.03.jpeg (199.37 KiB) Viewed 417 times
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-26 at 21.27.04.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-26 at 21.27.04.jpeg (219.58 KiB) Viewed 417 times

Tom
Site Admin
I notice the air filter lid is not fully seated in that second picture. Could it be that simple? If not, seems like your air filter box is sitting up too high for some reason. Maybe post a few more picture further back for more perspective -- curious if it 'looks' too high? How high is it compared to the IC pipes that run around it for example? Those little mounting bushings with the metal tube inserts can be confusing too. I'm thinking you need to take the air filter box out and make sure everything is installed as intended with nothing hanging up somewhere etc. If the hood opens and closes with with the air-filter top removed, and none of the hood gaps are way way off when the hood is closed, it's hard to imagine anything other than the air box being too high, right?

Belgian951
Tom wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:53 pm I notice the air filter lid is not fully seated in that second picture. Could it be that simple? If not, seems like your air filter box is sitting up too high for some reason. Maybe post a few more picture further back for more perspective -- curious if it 'looks' too high? How high is it compared to the IC pipes that run around it for example? Those little mounting bushings with the metal tube inserts can be confusing too. I'm thinking you need to take the air filter box out and make sure everything is installed as intended with nothing hanging up somewhere etc. If the hood opens and closes with with the air-filter top removed, and none of the hood gaps are way way off when the hood is closed, it's hard to imagine anything other than the air box being too high, right?
I'm currently working on replacing the exhaust manifold so I can't take any 'complete' pictures of the engine bay and how the hood sits. But here is a picture that shows the air box (took it while working on the exhaust, so I didn't mean to center the air box - forgot about taking those pics).

The top of the filter is indeed loose atm, but it sits correctly. If you close the hood, I would imagine that it compresses the box so this shouldn't be an issue. I can double check once the car is put back together.

As for the mounting bushings, I pressed the black rubber round seals in the slots, and then pressed the metal tube inserts into them. So they are not stacked.

It is indeed 99% sure that it's the airbox or something related to the air box that is the issue here... but it does seem like the pipes around it are equal in height. Confusing for sure.
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-27 at 22.26.45 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-27 at 22.26.45 (1).jpeg (311.67 KiB) Viewed 381 times

Tom
Site Admin
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the top being held up too high by the filter if it's not fully seated. I've had to really work at getting the top to fit down over the filter all the way around.

CEW
Long shot here….but possibly the wrong air filter? Maybe yours has a thicker perimeter flange not allowing the lid to completely seat in its correct position?

Belgian951
CEW wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:09 pm Long shot here….but possibly the wrong air filter? Maybe yours has a thicker perimeter flange not allowing the lid to completely seat in its correct position?
Should be OEM air filter, came in official porsche box and was bought from reputable online dealer.

Tom wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:54 pm I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the top being held up too high by the filter if it's not fully seated. I've had to really work at getting the top to fit down over the filter all the way around.
It seemed to be aligned, but I'll double check before tearing down the whole filter box.

dr bob
Stooped Stuph I've learned the harder way--

An important first step in almost any hood alignment process is to clean and lubricate the hinges and latch. For anything serious, the struts get removed, so the effort to align doesn't include fighting the strut pressure. The latch at the front of the hood comes off too, so hood alignment isn't affected by latch misalignment. Align the hood, -then- install and align the latch pin/spring/hook. Leaving the latch unbolted at the front also eliminates the risk of not being able to open the hood as you adjust other things.

I've used NutSerts/RivNuts to repair torn-out strut mounts where the ball fits. They are available in yellow-zinc plating to match the other original fittings on the car, and also in stainless if you are of that persuasion. Else you can add a hardened washer and a locknut.

---- TL;DR ----
The latch mechanism parts and pieces on your hood are identical to what's installed in my 928, as well as on several other more, um, mainstream models. I don't know if the hinges are shared but I wouldn't be at all surprised. There's a bunch of very careful alignment needed to get the latch to work perfectly every time. Thorough lubrication is critical.

dr bob

1989 928 S4, black with cashmere/black inside
SoCal 928 Group Cofounder
928 Owner's Club Charter Member
Bend Yacht Club Commodore Emeritus

Free Advice and Commentary. Use At Your Own Risk!