'83 938S Project

Tech and Talk about the Porsche 928
stitch2k1
I'll probably start posting in here somewhat regularly, as I slowly work on this project.

For some context, my dad and I picked up this 928S (USDM 5MT '83) about half a year ago. Here's the story so far...

I have notifications on my phone for certain Craigslist searches within a 250mi radius, and "Porsche 928" is on that list. It was a Thursday and I got such a notification and opened it up to see a 928 for sale for $5,000. 1983, manual, guards red ( :sick: ) over black, weirdly with sport seats from a 911/944 (specifically, the later 81-84 version of the early sport seats). It was definitely the most attractive 928 I had seen for $5,000 -- And I've wanted to get my hands on one so I can start to learn about working on them, and because it's a bucket list P-car for me.The ad was only 15 minutes old at the time I looked at it, and it was at a buy-here-pay-here, my favorite kind of scummy car dealer. I called them and didn't get an answer, I left a voice mail and didn't hear back.

Flash forward, to Saturday morning, I see this car again for sale. Same area, but different seller, now on Facebook Marketplace. It was now listed for $8,000 -- Which is now starting to get egregious with the price -- I messaged anyway, figuring somebody bought it and had buyer's remorse about the situation and realized they got way too big of a project.
I offer $5,000 off the bat saying I saw the car for sale before, the seller counters with $6,500 and I said I'll be there tomorrow (Sunday) with a trailer. That Saturday afternoon a friend of mine looked at it, ironically with his own dad, as a potential project. He knew I was interested in it, and he wanted a quick fixer upper not a restoration, so they passed on it.

Flash forward to Sunday, and I spend about 2 hours looking over the car, by myself. The seller turns out to be a fairly young kid who flips cars doing absolutely ZERO effort if possible, very scummy. I actually already knew him because he wanted to trade a 280ZX for my 924S that I had at the time, which I'm glad I didn't. I saw a huge whiteboard on the wall with stuff wrong with the 280ZX and it was so long I can't even remember a single thing. The (different) kid who eventually bought my 924S looked at that 280ZX and told me it was even worse, that the engine was giving up on life.

IMG_1919.jpg
IMG_1919.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 737 times

Anyway back on track, I notice a lot about the car, it was in fact no originally Guards Red, it was Ruby Red Metallic, and it was fully repainted with door jambs. It looks like a late 80s paint job, as some of the clear coat is failed. I find that the passenger fender and door are not original, they've been replaced. Some of the interior is weirdly leather and some is vinyl (original being vinyl). It has a weird radio delete plate, the HVAC totally doesn't work, two tires have nails in them (and they're old!). Despite all the flaws it seems like a nice car.

IMG_1920.jpg
IMG_1920.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 737 times

As for test driving it, as I was warned by my friend, the seller absolutely doesn't want anyone driving it because it has no tags or insurance. I tell him that's ridiculous and a deal breaker and I'll walk away, he relents saying it's on me if I get pulled over (N.S.S.). Driving it, it was plenty powerful, more than I expect for 236hp, the suspension was pretty good despite the age, and it shifted HORRIBLY. The shifter was totally bluetoothed by age, and I could barely get it into first as a result. I had to sweet talk it but I was able to wrangle it, and find that every (insanely) tall gear worked and I had no major synchro problems.

We get back and I talk to my dad on the phone, I look over some other details, and he told me to go with my gut feeling. I walk into this dinky little office with $6,500 in hand, handing it over and taking the title, which I find out is floated. He goes through the wad of cash telling me I'm $1,500 short. I tell him "No, I'm not. We agreed to $6,500." He disagrees, I panic and hurry up through the DM on Facebook to screenshot that message in case he tries something shady (as I got such a vibe) and delete the message. He admits he was wrong and takes it, since he doesn't have much of a choice considering I have the title in hand. He can't try and take it back, because I could've easily called the police, and with a floated title, and flipping cars (as many as he had) he was definitely breaking several laws...

So I got a 928 now.

IMG_1927.jpg
IMG_1927.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 737 times

We're still not really sure what we are going to do with it. I want to go all the way with a restoration back to the original color, get original 928 seats (despite that the seats in it are technically correct, they are not on the option codes), and build a custom set of BBS RS in 17" fitment for it.
My dad differs, and wants it to be drive-able, with AC, and to leave it Guards Red, maybe fix up the interior a bit.
Soooo we've had to just ignore that stuff right now and work towards making it drive-able, we differ on the end goal of the car.-

1991 944S2
2000 540iT/6
Insta: stitch2k1

stitch2k1
So, next step on catching up here with what's been going on...

IMG_1936.jpg
IMG_1936.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 736 times

The car didn't really run super great, it felt like it had a constant misfire. There's a random part in the back which screams to me like *some* work was clearly done, as the car sat dormant for a decade, and several people were floating the title pawning it off to one another.

So first things first, I pull the spark plugs and see what they are, and cross reference them with what was original. Aaaaaand these garbage Autolites are two heat ranges off, and that's probably one reason it runs so poorly...
So I manage to find some NGKs locally that are equivalent to the original Bosch plugs, and 8 in stock. I place the order for pick up and while we're waiting on that we decide to do a compression test.

IMG_1942.jpg
IMG_1942.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 736 times

Much to my amazement, with a mostly cold engine (as with it warm, the intake manifolds make it impossible to try and remove the plugs without burning myself). Yes, compression tests really don't say a whole lot, just a 'yes/no' if there's a problem, but what I did get was an almost perfectly. Taking a 9.3 C/R and multiplying by 14.7 (atmo) I get 136, which my goal. I end up with cylinders 2 and 4 making 135psi~, and every other cylinder making 140psi~.

The amount of STRESS that doing cylinder 4 and 8 gave me, being the back of each head, was insane. I was thrilled to see this come out perfect. I was expecting some loss, maybe carboned up exhaust valves, but it appears I have none of that which was awesome. 928 heads, from everything I understand, have to be removed with the engine out. Engine out work is what scares me the most about a 928, and I think I've got a car where I can avoid all of that stress.'

After my dad gets back with the new NGKs, I have to check/regap all of them, and I get them installed. Car immediately runs way better. We find the plug wires, cap, and rotor are original 1983 somehow, so I get a replacement set of plug wires ordered that evening (not the cap or rotor yet, which was a weird decision), as the wire for #4 is separting at the dizzy end, but it was ok enough to keep running the car.

I get my timing light out and set the dizzy timing, which is *really* aggressive BTDC (at high RPM) for 87 octane gas (which is what the fuel door says to use, to my surprise), but it starts to run a bit better.

With that stuff done, we're making progress, and can drive the car a bit more, which is starting to become really fun.

1991 944S2
2000 540iT/6

stitch2k1
Aaaand next up...
Shifter rebuild!

IMG_2593.jpg
IMG_2593.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 728 times

So with my fancy new jack stands we start to work on the shifter rebuild, now that I have the parts in hand. With it still outside I discover the shifter coupler at the transaxle side, the locking screw for it was backing out. I tightened that up and it immediately got way better, but there was a lot of slack in it. It also weirdly looked like a brand new from Porsche one?

I already had the 928srus bushings all around for the car, so we removed it. My dad worked on that by himself aaaand broke it. So after another week thanks to James Izzo I got an original that needed bushings, so perfect. Get that repaired (unfortunately, no pics), and work on the front cup, which I could not get fully seated in...but we sent it anyway.

IMG_2603.jpg
IMG_2603.jpg (157 KiB) Viewed 728 times

Putting the shifter parts back in, without dropping the TT, we decide to use a ratchet strap around the end of the ball cup and TT to pull the cup back on. It worked, except I didn't get the ratchet in the right spot and bent the push rod. Somehow we were able to straighten in place, and fix it. With that, we got the shifter all back together and rebuilt. Putting the front and rear push rods back on the shifter lever itself was really fun. Huge PITA. Can't really describe it, but if you know you know.

Shifter being rebuilt now, the car is much more drive-able. It is honestly the *WORST* shifting Porsche I have ever driven, which apparently is how it is. Appears I got lucky and have a good transmission so that's good!

1991 944S2
2000 540iT/6

Zirconocene
If you want to Google around, you might be interested in the Hans shifter, made by a long time member of the 928 community. He makes a lot of new, re-engineered parts for these cars. If the shifting really bums you out, his kit might be what you're looking for.

Cheers

Cheers

1990 928 GT
1990 928 S4
1991 944 S2
1993 968
2002 911 C2

stitch2k1
Zirconocene wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:38 am If you want to Google around, you might be interested in the Hans shifter, made by a long time member of the 928 community. He makes a lot of new, re-engineered parts for these cars. If the shifting really bums you out, his kit might be what you're looking for.
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in my notes for the car, I feel like I saw that name before. I'm kind of a fan of the long throw, I think with how notoriously 'shifting glass' the manuals are, especially the early ones like this, I'm not super interested in a short throw. I'm trying to be easy on it at all times.
I have bottles of 75w90 Mobil1 which everybody online swears by for these transmission, so I'm hoping that will help, but I haven't got the time to mess with it quite yet.

Will have some more updates soon, probably not, yeah definitely not.
I have parts in hand for the car but I need to decipher my key, make sure it's original to the VIN, and then order wafers (and another key) from this place in Australia.

1991 944S2
2000 540iT/6

Tom
Site Admin
Any updates?

DonaldS4
As Zirconocene suggested, buy a Hans shifter. The throws are the same. He does have other shift kits that have short throws, but I opted for the regular throws, and can you say, snickety, snickety? The way Porsche should have done it. You will thank us both.
Carry on the good work.
Cheers
Don

1988 Porsche 928 S4. 110,000 miles, 5 speed, Classic 9 leather dash,pod and console, sport seats, Louie Ott sway bar links, stainless X pipes, Weltmeister springs, Hans shift kit and many other tasteful mods.
1993 Audi S4

dr bob
The Hans shifter eliminates a lot of the play and flex in the existing linkage. That long front rod and the nylon cup are gone, and the rear cross with the funny bushings also gone. Instead, precision shifts with a lot less, um, uncertainty. Changes the whole character of the shifting for the better. It's what Porsche should have built from the beginning.

Combined with a properly adjusted "assist" spring at the clutch pedal, it becomes less like driving a tired school bus, closer to a real sports car as far as selector feel.

-Highly- Recommended

dr bob

1989 928 S4, black with cashmere/black inside
SoCal 928 Group Cofounder
928 Owner's Club Charter Member
Bend Yacht Club Commodore Emeritus

Free Advice and Commentary. Use At Your Own Risk!

stitch2k1
Tom wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:49 pmAny updates?
Nope, I think a bird might have turned it into target practice last week though.

On the Hans shifter. Yes I saw that, but I went ahead and already did the stock one. If I encounter any issues or wear with it, then I'll probably opt for that. Currently the thing is just sitting and waiting for a few more weeks until it gets moved to go sit in my father's new garage. It'll sit there until I get his S2 cabriolet done, which at the current rate is next to never.

1991 944S2
2000 540iT/6