Adaptive Cruise Control

Tech and Talk about the Panamera!
WillyDaP
Oh, nice way to end he conversation noting a trip to Barber, while many of those in the Midwest are wondering if we need to get out our snowblowers tomorrow! It was 27 degrees out when I got up this morning.

Yes, you may add extremely envious of you to the end of this remark, ha!

2024 Chalk Cayman GTS
2020 White Macan S
2013 Blue/White Viper GTS Launch Edition
2022 Silver Ram W1500 Laramie CrewCab

blueline
WillyDaP wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:08 am Oh, nice way to end he conversation noting a trip to Barber, while many of those in the Midwest are wondering if we need to get out our snowblowers tomorrow! It was 27 degrees out when I got up this morning.

Yes, you may add extremely envious of you to the end of this remark, ha!
Pulled off interstate to check something and so am also seeing your msg. It's 85° here and will be near the same and sunny tomorrow at Barber. But, nastier weather on the way for us by Monday. I got lucky on the timing!

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

penhosky
You mentioned alignment. My 2010 Panamera has 255,000 miles on it. Drives straight, I don't feel anything weird on steering, and the ACC malfunction is "acute" correlated with a battery drain (the battery is less than a year old) but now you got me thinking about "alignment." I don't recall seeing anything about this in the owners manual. Part of PSM? I have had other malfunction "quirks" come up in the past for no reason, clearing just as mysteriously. Three come to mind. One is the spoiler, more than once and recently, the front passenger door wouldn't open with the keyless on the FOB. I had made the appointment to have it looked at, when it cleared and stayed that way; appointment cancelled of course. A third is "Parking Brake Malfunction" also cleared on its own. What gives with these little electrical gremlins?

signde
blueline wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:43 am All sensors, cameras and other warning nannys have to be completely re-calibrated with every "regular" alignment. It's involved and costly. Those nannys are inextricably tied to the vehicle's alignment. Cannot correctly or safely do one without the other.

edit: the systems (ACC and alignment) are joined at the hip.
first time i am hearing of this but poking around on the internet it definitely seems to be a thing. neither of the two cars i own with ACC have had to have an alignment yet.

i can only imagine what the dealer charges for this. next time i talk to the indie where i take my cars i will ask them how they handle it and how much extra it is because now i am super curious. i recently got a new windshield and watched the guys recalibrate all those systems, it was fascinating to watch.

to be a contrarian here, i love ACC and it was a requirement for me in my macan search. it was a major hinderance in my search as many did not opt for that feature in the '18 and under models. i would say less than 10% of macans in the 95b.1 i looked at had it.

Porsche 997 Turbo | Porsche Macan Turbo | Audi 8V RS3 | VW MK4 R32

blueline
signde wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:59 pm
blueline wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:43 am All sensors, cameras and other warning nannys have to be completely re-calibrated with every "regular" alignment. It's involved and costly. Those nannys are inextricably tied to the vehicle's alignment. Cannot correctly or safely do one without the other.

edit: the systems (ACC and alignment) are joined at the hip.
first time i am hearing of this but poking around on the internet it definitely seems to be a thing. neither of the two cars i own with ACC have had to have an alignment yet.

i can only imagine what the dealer charges for this. next time i talk to the indie where i take my cars i will ask them how they handle it and how much extra it is because now i am super curious. i recently got a new windshield and watched the guys recalibrate all those systems, it was fascinating to watch.

to be a contrarian here, i love ACC and it was a requirement for me in my macan search. it was a major hinderance in my search as many did not opt for that feature in the '18 and under models. i would say less than 10% of macans in the 95b.1 i looked at had it.
Having ACC itself doesn't bother me greatly except for the increased alignment cost and complexity.

However, beyond that, it's a waste for me simply because I never use it and never will. I never use plain old cruise either. It's just not something I have a desire to use. However, I'll probably end up configuring it as I have in the past because I know others really like it.

Windshield - lol to that! Just put a new one in the Cayenne several weeks ago. That's an ordeal for sure! Long gone are the days of inexpensive windshields.

Tim
Musik-Stadt Region

penhosky
An update on my ACC issue. It turned out that the parking brake needed recalibrated. I replaced pads about a year ago and didn’t go through the full sequence required, although I have the iPOR. So if the parking brake is not recalibrated, ACC “not available .” According to the owners manual, the message for the ACC should indicate the reason why it’s not available, but it didn’t. For some reason, more than a year after the fact, I started to get the message “PARKING BRAKE IN SERVICE MODE.” I’m lucky that in this small town in Ohio I have a mechanic willing to help me, which he was able to do, no PIWIS required. 2 hours labor @ 130$ an hour. No trip to Columbus or Cleveland for the nearest dealer, not to mention what their labor costs are per hour are. So… I have my parking brake and my ACC. I use the ACC because most of my driving is highway; helps me stay out of trouble.

blueline
penhosky wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:06 am An update on my ACC issue. It turned out that the parking brake needed recalibrated. I replaced pads about a year ago and didn’t go through the full sequence required, although I have the iPOR. So if the parking brake is not recalibrated, ACC “not available .” According to the owners manual, the message for the ACC should indicate the reason why it’s not available, but it didn’t. For some reason, more than a year after the fact, I started to get the message “PARKING BRAKE IN SERVICE MODE.” I’m lucky that in this small town in Ohio I have a mechanic willing to help me, which he was able to do, no PIWIS required. 2 hours labor @ 130$ an hour. No trip to Columbus or Cleveland for the nearest dealer, not to mention what their labor costs are per hour are. So… I have my parking brake and my ACC. I use the ACC because most of my driving is highway; helps me stay out of trouble.
Glad you got it corrected without major hassles or major money.

Also, thank you for posting the results as I have no doubt that this bit of obscure info will help some of us somewhere down the road. :thumbup:

Tim
Musik-Stadt Region