Adaptive Cruise Control

Tech and Talk about the Panamera!
penhosky
While doing diagnostics on my Panamera I allowed the battery to run down and could not restart it. I used a charger overnight and was able to restart it the next morning but I had two codes go on. One was spoiler failure, which cleared on the second re start. The second one, which doesn’t clear, is “ ACC unavailable.” That’s the Adaptive Cruise Control. Never did it say “ Service needed.” Any thoughts on resetting without a visit to the dealer? Thank you.

blueline
penhosky wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:01 pm While doing diagnostics on my Panamera I allowed the battery to run down and could not restart it. I used a charger overnight and was able to restart it the next morning but I had two codes go on. One was spoiler failure, which cleared on the second re start. The second one, which doesn’t clear, is “ ACC unavailable.” That’s the Adaptive Cruise Control. Never did it say “ Service needed.” Any thoughts on resetting without a visit to the dealer? Thank you.
Have you tried driving for a distance? It might reset after a few miles, maybe 5 miles or so. If it still doesn't reset, a shutdown, lock, and 30 or so minute wait might work. Several other systems (oil level check, TPMS, red PCM screens, etc.) sometimes respond to a bit of driving followed by a bit of shut down time.

The above is speculation on my part but it's worth a try. It can't hurt.

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

penhosky
Thank you. Nothing else needed reset. I did drive two 55 mile trips but continued to show “ ACC not available “ What I haven’t tried is the long shutdown as you suggested, and that’s next. I last drove the car yesterday; will drive again Monday. Will post results. I don’t miss the ACC but I do miss the cruise control.

blueline
penhosky wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:24 pm Thank you. Nothing else needed reset. I did drive two 55 mile trips but continued to show “ ACC not available “ What I haven’t tried is the long shutdown as you suggested, and that’s next. I last drove the car yesterday; will drive again Monday. Will post results. I don’t miss the ACC but I do miss the cruise control.
We have ACC on the Cayenne and never use it. Porsche manages to tie it in to certain options in configs, so it usually worms its way into most builds which results in more electronics that can (and do) get buggy. Plus, alignments are much more expensive even if nothing with the ACC ever goes south.

Hoping it works itself out. If not, maybe it will be a simple fix or reset that the dealer can sort easily. Let us know how it turns out if you can!

Tim
Musik-Stadt Region

Tom
Site Admin
Sometimes ACC will be unavailable due to dirt/debris on the cameras. Sounds more like a reset/recalibration thing in light of how it started, but it's not implausible to think the system detected dirty cameras when it rebooted. It's free to check anyway....

penhosky
Thanks; I will do that as well. Next drive on Monday. Having always being a DIY, I hate being a slave to PIWIS. And the electronics seem to have a mind of their own..

signde
blueline wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:07 pm Plus, alignments are much more expensive even if nothing with the ACC ever goes south.
can you elaborate on what you mean by this?

Porsche 997 Turbo | Porsche Macan Turbo | Audi 8V RS3 | VW MK4 R32

blueline
All sensors, cameras and other warning nannys have to be completely re-calibrated with every "regular" alignment. It's involved and costly. Those nannys are inextricably tied to the vehicle's alignment. Cannot correctly or safely do one without the other.

edit: the systems (ACC and alignment) are joined at the hip.

Tim
Musik-Stadt Region

WillyDaP
Absolutely hate ACC, and so glad I did not order on my Cayman GTS!

2024 Chalk Cayman GTS
2020 White Macan S
2013 Blue/White Viper GTS Launch Edition
2022 Silver Ram W1500 Laramie CrewCab

blueline
WillyDaP wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:52 am Absolutely hate ACC, and so glad I did not order on my Cayman GTS!
Agree 100% Bill! Unfortunately, the way Porsche options many of the cars, you have to take ACC if you want certain other desirable options. I have it on the Cayenne and the 992 Turbo S, but not becauseI wanted it on either vehicle.. The configuration game is a bit rigged.

Out the door for the drive to Barber Motorsports Park for a day on track tomorrow! :thumbup: Have a great weekend!

Tim
Musik-Stadt Region