Fuel problems '73 1.7 w/ FI

911, 912, 914, 356 and all other air-cooled cars!
ejp914
I hope there some people here that know about D-Jet FI on 914's
Out driving a few weeks ago and the car just quit running. NO stumbles, hesitation. Engine just turned off. Repeated cranking did no good.
Thought fuel pump was bad so replaced it with a rebuilt one. Car started and ran fine.
Moving the car around in the garage about a week ago, it did the same thing. The engine just quit running. NO amount of cranking helped start the car.
So far, I have checked:
Power and fuel pump relays on the relay board are good. Swapped them with the headlight relays.
Fuses on the board are good.
Cleaned and tightened ground connection near the relay board.
Cleaned both sides of the 14 and 10 pin connectors on the board. Spread the pins open a bit more for better connection.
Everything on the board seems to check out of per Jeff Bowlsby's fuel pump troubleshooting guide.
I have switched and unswitched power to the relay board.
I have good continuity on the power and ground wires that go to the fuel pump.
I have spark .
Pulled the left side fuel injectors after new pump installed and they spray well so I am/was getting fuel.
New pump runs when directly connected to the battery.
Have not checked ECU as I heard they rarely go bad. Don't know if true.

Seems I have good relays and relay board, power to the board, and good wires to the pump, but turning the key to the
first position, I do not hear the usual fuel pump buzz and start.

Any chance the ignition switch in the steering column is the problem? Dont know how turning the key energizes the relay board.

Dont know what else to check. Hopefully someone on here can give me some guidance. Thank you for the help.

Ed

Arne2
D-jet uses trigger points in the base of the ignition distributor time the injector pulses. The 2.0 I had a while back failed suddenly like this, and the cause was dirty trigger points. Cleaning and adjusting was all I needed, which is good as replacements can be difficult to find. NOS can sometimes be found on eBay, but expect to pay a couple hundred or more.

- Arne

Current - 2018 Cayman 2.0 litre
Past - 1984 911 Carrera, 1984 944, 1973 914 2.0, 1972 911T

ejp914
Thanks Arne2. I forgot about those pesky things. Hiding below the distributor, right?
Troubleshooting the relay board tonight and I thought i had it fixed. Got the fuel pump buzz back. But now every time I turn on the ignition, the 25 AMP fuse on the relay blows out. Cant continue troubleshooting when fuses are blowing.
Anyone have any thoughts on why this is now happening and any possible things to check?
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
EJP914

Garyss
Bad fuel pump