Track Your Dream ---- Porsche's Status for you Ordered Uber Machine!

Porsche talk that defies categories!
WillyDaP
With a Chalk GTS coming my way, I have been enjoying the information Porsche provides to those buyers who order a Porsche vehicle. Since I sold vehicles for a very long time, I was very aware of the " Magical Word " estimate, because it often becomes the harbinger of frustration and unintended worry. I was pretty shocked with how soon things proceeded once my order was in, but as I expected things flip - flopped almost immediately. I was getting info on my exciting build in Zuffenhausen only to question the map they posted under " My Porsche " as it showed a spot on the map in Northern Deutschland! Now it helped that I had lived in Germany as a young man, and I was quite aware that Zuffenhausen is a suburb of Stuttgart, but I imagined many who saw this on their build map were not even aware. Did some checking , and bingo, I have a VolksPorsche, since the car was produced in Osnabruck, a main plant fur das People's Wagen! No worries because more investigation found this had been in the plans for awhile , done before, and the upgrades to produce mein liddle SportzKar had many other buyers getting the Osnabruck build. Not long after finding this out I saw a personalized license plate that read " NottaVW " and that struck me a very humorous. I found out other individuals who checked their Vin numbers and found a letter K seven back from the end were able to identify the vehicle as a Osnabruck production model.

Now , not to make this into a small book, I got various date changes initially , with a Sept. 26 delivery date for what I thought was a final date for the Cayman. Just a few days after that I got a new note saying my car was done , on its way to Emden and should be in my hands by August 23-24 --- ausgezeichenet!! I was stunned and then I got another note stating September 26 for my delivery ( the original date ) at Porsche of Omaha , followed by a day later popping up as August 26th. So now you understand how exact the Germans are, they told me things were just estimates and boy were they correct, but it also made things exciting.

TYD ( track your dream ) has been fun once it left the Port of Emden, but I did want to add one little note for those who order a Porsche in the future or have one in the works. Please note the fun maps they send you, everyday, once the car leaves the German Port, are not quite accurate. It will show the ship crossing the Atlantic or other oceans for those around the World, and you can track the ship as it crosses the ocean with your little bundle of joy. The key, though, is to ask your Salesperson what Ocean Transport your vehicle is on , and they will be able to give you the actual name. Once you have the name go to " Marinetraffic.com " and do a search for your ship. This is helpful because the position on your TYD map from Porsche is not visually correct. While my car appeared to be about 200 miles off the coast of NYC, it was actually docked in the Baltimore area. Today it looks like it is off the coast of Georgia, but instead it is moored in Jacksonville harbor.
So, have fun watching the progress and for those who just ordered or plan to, I hope this pamphlet ( I did not quite make a book out of this ) is helpful and makes the process more fun?!

2024 Chalk Cayman GTS
2020 White Macan S
2013 Blue/White Viper GTS Launch Edition
2022 Silver Ram W1500 Laramie CrewCab

blueline
I've been a MarineTraffic.com user too - tracked the Turbo S. More accurate as you said and a bit of fun!

You are correct that the delivery estimates change. Don't be surprised though if you suddenly get a call from your dealer announcing that your car is there, days or weeks earlier than current TrackYourDream info. I think Porsche likes to allow for any port delays (which can be horrendous), RORO fires & sinkings (just kidding!!!), and other potential tie-ups. This is most true if the Feds get involved, which can happen. (It certainly did in the aftermath of DieselGate for VW and Porsche - cars were sometimes held in ports for many months while the Feds, who no longer trusted the manufacturer's certifications, did their own extensive checks. It was a nightmare for dealers and customers, many of whom had their specially ordered cars held up in port for what I heard was as much as 6-months in some cases.)

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

blueline
11th digit on my GT4 is an "S" - Zuffenhausen.

Tim
Musik-Stadt Region

WillyDaP
Ja, das ist zehr gut, du hast ein " Proper " Porsche, nicht ein VolksPorsche ! Seriously, I was surprised to find how many owners with 718s ( Boxster and Cayman ) are coming from Osnabruck now or have come from there in the past.

2024 Chalk Cayman GTS
2020 White Macan S

blueline
Yes! I have no VW/Porsche! Indeed zehr gut, although in reality the final 718 product is the same no matter where assembled.

I don't know, but possibly the shift has something to do with massive change-over due to the elimination of the entire 718 model ICE cars to all electric something or other for the 2025 model year. (How very sad. :cry: ) I'm guessing the replacement EV model production might be in Zuffenhausen.

The complete cessation of GT4 production was announced at the end of March '23 - there will not be any 2024 GT4's (new orders were cancelled then too as I understand it) - and maybe that had a hand in things. The GT4-RS is still being made for 2024 model year but I don't know where they're being put together. I would imagine Zuffenhausen?

Tim
Musik-Stadt Region

WillyDaP
I am not upset, just glad to get one of the last of the ICE 718s even though rumors are they will continue possibly into 2026. The Plant situation has been in the works because of the huge demand for the 718 , Worldwide, I just was not aware of this situation when I first realized my build site was not in Zuffenhausen. I had a PM from a guy out West a month ago , saying his 718 was done there quite awhile back, so nothing really new, apparently. I guess I will have to wander North if visiting Deutschland and landing in Frankfurt, instead of a drive to the South in to Zuffenhausen to see the birthplace of my GTS 4 point O ?

2024 Chalk Cayman GTS
2020 White Macan S

blueline
WillyDaP wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:37 am I am not upset, just glad to get one of the last of the ICE 718s even though rumors are they will continue possibly into 2026. The Plant situation has been in the works because of the huge demand for the 718 , Worldwide, I just was not aware of this situation when I first realized my build site was not in Zuffenhausen. I had a PM from a guy out West a month ago , saying his 718 was done there quite awhile back, so nothing really new, apparently. I guess I will have to wander North if visiting Deutschland and landing in Frankfurt, instead of a drive to the South in to Zuffenhausen to see the birthplace of my GTS 4 point O ?
I had not heard that 718 continuation rumor! Everything is so hush-hush within manufacturers, most definitely Porsche. Blume's statement was quite definitive and when do CEO's and their lieutenants ever not tell the truth?? :lol:

Tim
Musik-Stadt Region

WillyDaP
Hey, I am no longer sworn to secrecy by friends in the business ( Manufacturer Execs ) since I am retired, but also the humorous item is I heard this rumor from an individual not associated with the VW Ginormous Conglomeration, but another automotive concern, so it could be as baseless a rumor as just stirring the pot, but....................

Macans and 718s ( Boxster and Cayman ) are rocking the Plants mach schnell, so the likelihood of building an EV alongside an ICE model for an easy transition ( sounds like Marketing reasoning , right ) seems like a logical conclusion.
And if not, well it was just a rumor anyway, and who ever believes rumors today ?

2024 Chalk Cayman GTS
2020 White Macan S

WillyDaP
Quick update, TYD still shows my Cayman floating around in the Caribbean and the ship not docking till the 20th. In reality the Ship ( Siem Cicero ) has been moored in Houston since around 7:30 last night ( 8,17, 2023 ). Just a note for others so you get an idea that the system is fun to follow yet is often wrong, but this can be a plus when the arrival at Port is 3 days early.

2024 Chalk Cayman GTS
2020 White Macan S

blueline
WillyDaP wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:46 am Quick update, TYD still shows my Cayman floating around in the Caribbean and the ship not docking till the 20th. In reality the Ship ( Siem Cicero ) has been moored in Houston since around 7:30 last night ( 8,17, 2023 ). Just a note for others so you get an idea that the system is fun to follow yet is often wrong, but this can be a plus when the arrival at Port is 3 days early.
Key takeaway for me from your post: the still floating observation - always key these days for sea-going car haulers.

Glad she's in port. Won't be long now!

Tim
Musik-Stadt Region