718 Coding using Launch X431 tool

Including the Spyder, GT4, and GT4RS
Bill in Bama
Mine arrived Friday but I just got around to unpacking it today, I'm impressed with the packaging, neat case for the tablet and accessories, gotta read up on the operation and maybe find time tomorrow to do some coding.

'21 718 GTS 4.0, AGM/Espresso/ Cognac
'17 Cayenne base, White/Luxor/Black
'16 Cayman GTS, great car, sold for the 4.0
'13 Cayenne base, DBM/Luxor beige
'06 Cayman S, first mid-engine car
'86 944 Turbo, fast! Stone grey
'84 944, my first Porsche DBM

J-Dub
A bit of a learning curve but so far I have opened it up, connected it to my wifi and updated the software to the latest version.

Getting into the menu for the coding/configuration takes some getting used to.

So far I have set all the dials to white and started to work through the TPMS menu.

So in the TPMS menu stock I had 18" Winter, 19" winter and 20" summer.
Playing around with those as I can turn them on and off 18,19,20,summer,winter. I turned off 18" Winter.
I realized that there is a custom summer and a custom winter option, free text. I used the custom summer as my Track tire setting.
Some(maybe all) of the setting you can turn on multiple set points like normal, full load and comfort.
I set the TPMS set point for 19"track tires in Comfort mode to 1.7 bar(25psi) to not set off the warning light cold as I enter the track.

Next is the seatbelt song.... I can find the 4 places with the search but not yet in the menu.
That reminds me, the search is good.

This is quite fun!

1957 VW Beetle
2004 VW R32
2021 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0

blueline
J-Dub wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:02 pm A bit of a learning curve but so far I have opened it up, connected it to my wifi and updated the software to the latest version.

Getting into the menu for the coding/configuration takes some getting used to.

So far I have set all the dials to white and started to work through the TPMS menu.

So in the TPMS menu stock I had 18" Winter, 19" winter and 20" summer.
Playing around with those as I can turn them on and off 18,19,20,summer,winter. I turned off 18" Winter.
I realized that there is a custom summer and a custom winter option, free text. I used the custom summer as my Track tire setting.
Some(maybe all) of the setting you can turn on multiple set points like normal, full load and comfort.
I set the TPMS set point for 19"track tires in Comfort mode to 1.7 bar(25psi) to not set off the warning light cold as I enter the track.

Next is the seatbelt song.... I can find the 4 places with the search but not yet in the menu.
That reminds me, the search is good.

This is quite fun!
Interesting. The GT4 has only 20" as option - summer or winter. There are no comfort, full or normal load settings. I have inquired and best I can tell, there is no way to add a tire size on a GT4, at least not one that the car will recognize and respond to. However, I am still unsure that it cannot be overridden. Maybe?

Having said that, I'm fine on street or track with the 19" wheels with the settings at 20" Summer. Nothing has changed insofar as gauge or dash indicators - the only thing that might be off is the speedometer. I'm guessing there are more settings options with non GT 718 cars.

As for the warning light, I am assuming you are talking about the yellow tire icon on the gauge? I don't even notice it. Like all Porsches that I've encountered, I will get a gauge tpms warning pop-out as the car is driven indicating correct fill levels (add or subtract) for each corner. It doesn't occur that often and all I do is a quick push of the stalk and it's gone for another 15 to 30 minutes.

Now, regarding the seatbelt song. You lost me on that one Jeremy! :think: I'm confused as to what you are referring to. Help me out!

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

J-Dub
LOL
The seatbelt song is the tone that plays if you drive away and the seatbelt is not buckled. In some cars it is a ding, some it is subtle, some it is downright anoying.

One of the worst is my girlfriends Toyota 4Runner..... I just disabled that as well :lol:

Update on the on the Cayman: I remapped the displayed coolant temperature to the real coolant temperature. I may have missed this but does the oil temperature have something similar?

Tim, do you have the X431 or similar and have not been able to add TPMS options? Regarding the warning light, yea it pops up the right gauge where I am displaying the shift light or multi gauge or TPMS values and have to hit the back button on track. It is distracting.

1957 VW Beetle
2004 VW R32

blueline
No coding device but I'm ok without making changes at this point.

Based on what I see for oil temps, I feel they are actual, at least on my car. The tire warning light doesn't interfere - I have PDK anyway, plus the gauge setups differ somewhat from the GT4 to the GTS I think.

For seat belt chime annoyance when on track, this is what I use. Simple and effective. :D

61VLYl4EbmL._AC_UY218_.jpg
61VLYl4EbmL._AC_UY218_.jpg (8.68 KiB) Viewed 435 times

Unfortunately the ones pictured above that I got at Amazon are n/a now but there are others available.

Tim
Musik-Stadt Region

J-Dub
If I figure out the GT4 menus work the same for the TPMS I will let you know.

1957 VW Beetle
2004 VW R32

JP4931
So far with the PIWIS a friend has done the following to my 21 CGTS. I would never have a clue on how to do this at all myself. It amazes me how much that can be done with just a few clicks to activate or turn something off.

Blinker blinks five times now
Actual water temp
Seat belt warning off
No more horn beeping at lock
Added a line for 19" track tires
Navigation
Track precision app
Auto Start Stop deactivated

I also know that power steering assist can be turned on or off.

Larry C
JP4931 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:32 pm So far with the PIWIS a friend has done the following to my 21 CGTS. I would never have a clue on how to do this at all myself. It amazes me how much that can be done with just a few clicks to activate or turn something off.

Actual water temp
Seat belt warning off
Navigation
Track precision app

Easy $280🤔

2022 Cayman GTS 4.0
2019 Audi RS3 (sold)
2016 VW Golf R (sold)
2013 Audi S4 (sold)

blueline
JP4931 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:32 pm So far with the PIWIS a friend has done the following to my 21 CGTS. I would never have a clue on how to do this at all myself. It amazes me how much that can be done with just a few clicks to activate or turn something off.

Actual water temp
Seat belt warning off
Navigation
Track precision app

Nice! Several of those changes would be great to have for the GT4.

Tim
Musik-Stadt Region

JP4931
blueline wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:48 pm

Actual water temp
Seat belt warning off
Navigation
Track precision app

Nice! Several of those changes would be great to have for the GT4.
If you were in East TN, I could get you hooked up!