Is this underpriced?

Tech and Talk about the Porsche 928
Tom
Site Admin
Or am I just jaded by Bring a Trailer?? Or missing the big flaw?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ctd/d/ ... 91717.html

white 90 928.jpg
white 90 928.jpg (69.21 KiB) Viewed 334 times

DonaldS4
Well, I don’t think underpriced, but, it is a fair price. It looks well taken care of, used and maintained, with the important maintenance done(fuel lines, timing belt, power steering hoses), and look at that gorgeous interior.
Buy this, and you will not regret it.
Cheers
Don

1988 Porsche 928 S4. 110,000 miles, 5 speed, Classic 9 leather dash,pod and console, sport seats, Louie Ott sway bar links, stainless X pipes, Weltmeister springs, Hans shift kit and many other tasteful mods.
1993 Audi S4

dr bob
If you are serious about owning a 928, this one certainly deserves a look. As DonaldS4 mentions, this one hits a lot of the already-serviced items. The only lagging service item is the t-belt at 7 years old. The tribal wisdom suggests that 7 years or 50k is the safe useful life of that belt. I did mine (3x...) last year at ten years of age and less than 20k miles, and honestly the old one looked almost identical to the one I put in. Officially, there's no stated calendar life on the belt. There are WYAIT items like rollers, water pump and cam gears that need attention at the same time.

Search the history docs to be sure the coolant has been maintained/replaced every few years. The aluminum engine is subject to some corrosion issues if the coolant isn't maintained. Same concerns you have with your 450SL and with the 951, for some familiar references.

Regardless, you should go look at that car and drive it. A well-maintained 928 is a joy to drive especially at speed. The steering is, um, a little ponderous going slow. The late '91-on cars came with additional steering assist to help that in slow driving/parking situations. I find my pre-extra-boost steering just fine, and without admitting guilt yer onner, it's an easy three-fingers drive between 120 and 150. Nice at 80 too, but the car just hunkers down and eats miles of asphalt pretty effortlessly when less constrained.

This example is an automatic car, which for many is not really what they have in mind. For actual driving where you live, the automatic is probably a better choice. I semi-dailied mine in the L.A. basin for over a decade, commuting once or twice a week between west OC beach to Pasadena. I found myself in traffic enough to appreciate not having to clutch and row. The car has buckets of usable torque, so the manual isn't bad. The auto was better for me.

For sure, a real PPI with a 928-saavy tech would be a Good Idea. Like any Porsche purchase really. Take a look at the parts and prices, and know that there are no more "factory trained" techs at the dealerships anymore. There was a young tech at a dealer very near you whom I would trust to inspect and work on the car if she's still there. I can do a little more research and see where she's at currently if you get serious. Her dad was a NASA race director and big time 928 fan, so traceable some DNA. In a desperate pinch, there's a united ride from here to SFO for at least a full visual and in-service drive inspection.

----

Every year, we get to update the replacement cost numbers for the interesting cars. I put $45k for my similar-miles '89 automatic car. There are enough premium examples, like this one, to validate these estimates. As most here know, there's no bargain in a 'bargain' 928 purchase. Like that coolant damage stuff, some deterioration items aren't easily 'restored', so almost any past-neglected example would be suspect. The Good News on your Cali candidate is that you can trace its emissions check history to see the mileage progression. Did it sit ignored or as a garage queen for long periods between services? History dictates a lot of my personal worries focus when looking at a candidate for anyone I know who asks.

Again, go look at and drive the car, and see if it spins your prop in the correct direction. It's literally the polar opposite experience to driving a similar-period 911. Be ready.

dr bob

1989 928 S4, black with cashmere/black inside
SoCal 928 Group Cofounder
928 Owner's Club Charter Member
Bend Yacht Club Commodore Emeritus

Free Advice and Commentary. Use At Your Own Risk!