My dream 928....

Tech and Talk about the Porsche 928
Tom
Site Admin
This one checks every box on my list and then some. @Gregbbrd motor, low mile, white over black. No surprise the bidding is out of control...with 5 days still to go!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989- ... -928-gt-5/

928.jpg
928.jpg (377.34 KiB) Viewed 449 times

blueline
Tom wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:34 pm This one checks every box on my list and then some. @Gregbbrd motor, low mile, white over black. No surprise the bidding is out of control...with 5 days still to go!

928.jpg
That's the real deal. Impressive bio and a solid set of stats along with a what seems to be a pedigreed background. I don't know 928 pricing very well but I know enough to realize that the current bid is mind boggling! Could this car end up selling for a whole lot more? It sure does seem possible.

It would be awesome to own this 928, assuming I had Tom, dr bob, Porschenut and a host of other Carpokeans to help keep it pristine so that all I had to do was get in it and drive!

Thanks for posting that Tom. That is a special 928.

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

dr bob
This one is a gem. I've worked with many of the commenters in the BAT auction, and all have top creds. Several are GB stroker owners too so know what's on the stage there. Greg Brown is maybe the last serious builder of the bigger engines, and has done enough of them to get them very right. This one's a mild stroker with an excellent, way-better-than-factory crankshaft. The 968 pistons mean that they can run in the original alusil holes just enlarged. There's a huge amount of work on oil management, hitting at one of the issues that Porsche worked on but didn't finish in time for the GTS. You could drive this one all afternoon at full throttle and worry only about fuel stops. The torque from these engines is intoxicating to say the least. Brings the car current in performance for sure. Buy some tire-store stock for sure.

The bids on this are going ballistic, maybe because Greg is about my age and won't be building a lot more of these cars. Get all you can before the hoarders get here!

dr bob

1989 928 S4, black with cashmere/black inside
SoCal 928 Group Cofounder
928 Owner's Club Charter Member
Bend Yacht Club Commodore Emeritus

Free Advice and Commentary. Use At Your Own Risk!

blueline
dr bob wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:47 pm This one is a gem. I've worked with many of the commenters in the BAT auction, and all have top creds. Several are GB stroker owners too so know what's on the stage there. Greg Brown is maybe the last serious builder of the bigger engines, and has done enough of them to get them very right. This one's a mild stroker with an excellent, way-better-than-factory crankshaft. The 968 pistons mean that they can run in the original alusil holes just enlarged. There's a huge amount of work on oil management, hitting at one of the issues that Porsche worked on but didn't finish in time for the GTS. You could drive this one all afternoon at full throttle and worry only about fuel stops. The torque from these engines is intoxicating to say the least. Brings the car current in performance for sure. Buy some tire-store stock for sure.

The bids on this are going ballistic, maybe because Greg is about my age and won't be building a lot more of these cars. Get all you can before the hoarders get here!
The seller posted a screenshot recently in the comments section that showed the Reserve at $85,000, so he's got to be quite pleased. Pleasantly surprised a bit too, I imagine.

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

Larry C
Tom wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:34 pm This one checks every box on my list and then some. @Gregbbrd motor, low mile, white over black. No surprise the bidding is out of control...with 5 days still to go!

928.jpg
@Tom Do you think you might sneak in at the end of the auction with the winning bid?👊🏻

2022 Cayman GTS 4.0
2019 Audi RS3 (sold)
2016 VW Golf R (sold)
2013 Audi S4 (sold)

Tom
Site Admin
Larry C wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:09 pm

928.jpg
@Tom Do you think you might sneak in at the end of the auction with the winning bid?👊🏻
I don't think so. Love the car, but the current high bidder took the bidding from $50k to $130k in one big jump. If he was going for a shot across the bow, it worked on me.

dr bob
That's pretty rarified territory for a 928, so I'm not a candidate really. Of course I lament letting a very low-miles '89 GT pass through my fingers around 2000 or so. I was out of storage space, certainly didn't need another 928 to keep mine company, etc. I'll have to go look at notes to confirm, but IIRC is was under $20k at the time. No GB extra performance included though. Lotsa 'wish I'd" decisions with the benefit of hindsight, way beyond a 928 GT.

I hope the sale actually works out and the biding isn't shills trying to push the market. A rising tide floats all boats and all that. Maybe even mine if the auction price holds up... :)

dr bob

1989 928 S4, black with cashmere/black inside
SoCal 928 Group Cofounder
928 Owner's Club Charter Member
Bend Yacht Club Commodore Emeritus

Free Advice and Commentary. Use At Your Own Risk!

Tom
Site Admin
It sold for $130k. I think the buyer succeeded in telling the world he was going to buy it no matter what, so no point in trying. 928s like that don't come around very often. :thumbup: