Airing tires on the road

A friendly place to discuss whatever!
Bill in Bama
I think we're all aware of the difficulty in finding reliable air compressor sources on the road. Last night my wife and I were returning home from attending a grandson's bridging ceremony into Boy Scouts, a 75 mile journey. I was driving her 540i, and we got the dreaded low tire pressure warning. The car has the OEM run flats and the display indicated 20 psi in the left rear. It was after 8:30 and as I started stopping at gas stations I found most we're closed. I finally found one open that took credit cards(the smallest either of us had was a $20, and no quarters. The machine took my card but never kicked on, the attendant inside w as no help and I left. The next took only quarters, but the attendant didn't have any change. However she gave me four quarters from her purse so I was able to air up the tire enough to get home.

I had a similar problem a few years ago in my Cayenne on a long road trip, finally finding a tire store where the manager graciously allowed me free use of an air hose. It's all but impossible to find reliable air on the road anymore. In my experience most coin operated compressors are inoperative.

Yes, I have a cigarette lighter compressor in the Bimmer, but it is painfully slow and we were trying to reach home at a reasonable hour but had I not found an air source soon that was my last resort.

The rest of the story: I pulled the tire off the car and found a drywall screw in the tread. It's repairable so I'm off to my local tire store early tomorrow for patch and plug. This is the second flat on this set of tires, really unusual.

'21 718 GTS 4.0, AGM/Espresso/ Cognac
'17 Cayenne base, White/Luxor/Black
'16 Cayman GTS, great car, sold for the 4.0
'13 Cayenne base, DBM/Luxor beige
'06 Cayman S, first mid-engine car
'86 944 Turbo, fast! Stone grey
'84 944, my first Porsche DBM

Tom
Site Admin
Bill in Bama wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:32 pm I think we're all aware of the difficulty in finding reliable air compressor sources on the road. Last night my wife and I were returning home from attending a grandson's bridging ceremony into Boy Scouts, a 75 mile journey. I was driving her 540i, and we got the dreaded low tire pressure warning. The car has the OEM run flats and the display indicated 20 psi in the left rear. It was after 8:30 and as I started stopping at gas stations I found most we're closed. I finally found one open that took credit cards(the smallest either of us had was a $20, and no quarters. The machine took my card but never kicked on, the attendant inside w as no help and I left. The next took only quarters, but the attendant didn't have any change. However she gave me four quarters from her purse so I was able to air up the tire enough to get home.

I had a similar problem a few years ago in my Cayenne on a long road trip, finally finding a tire store where the manager graciously allowed me free use of an air hose. It's all but impossible to find reliable air on the road anymore. In my experience most coin operated compressors are inoperative.

Yes, I have a cigarette lighter compressor in the Bimmer, but it is painfully slow and we were trying to reach home at a reasonable hour but had I not found an air source soon that was my last resort.

The rest of the story: I pulled the tire off the car and found a drywall screw in the tread. It's repairable so I'm off to my local tire store early tomorrow for patch and plug. This is the second flat on this set of tires, really unusual.
Cars have gotten so modern and space-shippy that many people just get in and expect them to run forever without even knowing how to put air in a tire. I first started driving in the 70's and even then a portion of 'drivers Ed' was all about the car and how to check that it was safe for the road -- fluids, brake checks, tire air, etc. Not so much any more. Of course, gas stations competed in part on providing friendly service back then too, and that's definitely not the case anymore. So kind of a double whammy for people who need air in 2023. Sorry for the hassle and glad you got home with too much trauma. I'd suggest carrying a can of fix-a-flat, but the service manager at my dealer told me I'm better off getting towed than using that stuff (even the jar that comes with the car). He said they often ruin the tire pressure monitor sensor, and that those sensors have been difficult to get after the chip-shortage/war/Covid era began.

Larry C
The Triple A card is the new air pump, spare tire, etc..

2022 Cayman GTS 4.0
2019 Audi RS3 (sold)
2016 VW Golf R (sold)
2013 Audi S4 (sold)

Tom
Site Admin
Larry C wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:05 am The Triple A card is the new air pump, spare tire, etc..
We don't get our insurance from AAA but signed up for their card. At under $100 a year, it's paid for itself many times over for us. Just two weeks ago, my wife picked up a nail 100 miles from home, and AAA had her back on the road in under an hour. She tipped the driver, but AAA didn't charge a penny.

Larry C
We even pay extra for the AAA premium service - I’m pretty sure that provides flat bed towing and longer towing distances.🤙🏻

2022 Cayman GTS 4.0
2019 Audi RS3 (sold)
2016 VW Golf R (sold)
2013 Audi S4 (sold)

Bill in Bama
AAA isn't really an option where I live, we had it for a while at my wife's insistence, but response times in rural areas such as mine are measured in hours (multiple ones), and had I depended on them I might still be waiting.

I'd probably have better results from good 'ole boys in pickup trucks stopping to help.

'21 718 GTS 4.0, AGM/Espresso/ Cognac
'17 Cayenne base, White/Luxor/Black
'16 Cayman GTS, great car, sold for the 4.0
'13 Cayenne base, DBM/Luxor beige
'06 Cayman S, first mid-engine car
'86 944 Turbo, fast! Stone grey
'84 944, my first Porsche DBM

blueline
I love my DeWalt Max Tire Inflator for quick use at the track and at home - it's a great device and much easier than powering up the pancake compressor. However, it's not any help if you have a badly leaking puncture or other type of tire failure. In that case it's officially Tow Time. Add the lovely center locks and it's likely Tow Time Plus. (ie: Porsche dealer, new tire, possible wheel repair or replacement.) If in the middle of nowhere, your options are slim.

As Tom & Larry mentioned, the best choice seems to be a good car club. But to Larry's point, if in the boonies it will likely be a long wait. But back to the car club benefits, depending on the situation and the car, it may have to be towed no matter what, so the club would be helpful.

I use Hagerty's Driver Club - pretty awesome if subscribing to their top tier coverage, 3rd Gear. 150 miles/200km of unlimited towing - flatbed guaranteed. 3rd Gear covers both classics and personally owned vehicles that are registered to your household. Car hauling trailer coverage is included too.

Hagerty's FAQ for 3rd Gear:

Unlimited emergency usage
Guaranteed flatbed with soft straps
Text notifications
Live event tracking (where available)
Follows vehicle, not person
Complimentary subscription to Hagerty Drivers Club magazine (six issues per year)
Premium access to Hagerty Valuation Tools
Invites to members-only events and experiences
Automotive discounts
Top-of-the-line roadside service
Hagerty Carcierge – car experts on call to answer member questions
Membership to the Historic Vehicle Association

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

ROB III
We have a family AAA membership and it has helped my son with his 280Z that had a fuel issue when he was in school. Paid for itself several times over...and to show my age, I used to get MAPS(?) and trip ticks for travel. I need to look into Hagerty.....

blueline
ROB III wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:47 pm We have a family AAA membership and it has helped my son with his 280Z that had a fuel issue when he was in school. Paid for itself several times over...and to show my age, I used to get MAPS(?) and trip ticks for travel. I need to look into Hagerty.....
I really like Hagerty Rob. I think AAA is fine too, it's just that Hagerty is laser-focused on the motorsports and car culture world (all of it, from cars to boats to motorcycles) which I want to support. Also, I've been an insured customer with Hagerty for a variety of vehicles since the early 2000's and am now in my third year with their Drivers Club. When I see you next, I'll let you know what my experiences have been with them.

I think a lot of people think you have to have a classic or antique to insure with Hagerty and that is not necessarily the case. I like agreed value insurance for appreciating cars such as Porsches, even new ones.

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

dr bob
As much of a drag it seems to be waiting for the portable compressor to do its thing, it's almost invariably faster than waiting for roadside service. The fix-a-flat products are a last resort, and as mentioned they tend to foul TPMS sensors. They also gum up the wheels and can cause balance issues. Keep the engine running while the compressor is on.

My touring kit has a string patch kit and a small air compressor. I have to remember to replace that glue in the kit every few years. I've used it once in the last 20+ years and it wasn't for my own car. Be prepared, and you'll never have a puncture. It's Fig Newton's forth law. :eh:

dr bob

1989 928 S4, black with cashmere/black inside
SoCal 928 Group Cofounder
928 Owner's Club Charter Member
Bend Yacht Club Commodore Emeritus

Free Advice and Commentary. Use At Your Own Risk!