roof liner

Including Spyders & GT4s
oldpsulefty
Got in my 2015 Cayman (base) and felt something hit me gently in the head. The fabric of my roof liner had come loose and was like a great big bubble hanging down. Has anyone else had this issue, and know of any self repair options or, alternatively, what kind of cost I'm in for if I take it to the Porsche dealer for repair? Thank you.

Tom
Site Admin
Common problem unfortunately. The headliner is a rigid part with fabric glued to it, and the fabric tends to separate over time. See this one at suncoast for example.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/s ... liner.html

Probably depends on how enterprising your dealer is, but suspect most would just replace the whole unit and charge accordingly.

A good upholstery shop can remove the headliner and recover it for a fraction of the cost, or if you are ambitious, there are lots of videos on the subject...

oldpsulefty
Tom, thank you very much for the input. It looks like something my 70-yr-old hands and body can't take on :), but I would have done so a few years ago. I'll let you know how it turns out when I go through the other options!

rjh
Sorry a bit late. I had the roof liner on my 2014 981C fixed by a car restoration place. Total cost about $450. Great color and texture match as well. They told me they had done a few Porsches now. I'm in FL, if you need the info let me know.

mikeincarmelin
I agree, this is a common problem. Mine came loose while living in Florida, apparently a more common issue with the high heat and humidity. A Google search found several "one man shows" that make a business out of this repair. A young lady came to my house and installed a new headliner while parked in the driveway. I watched her do the whole thing in 2-3 hours. Sorry, I don't remember the cost but it wasn't outrageous.

mac18cay07
Had the headliner problem on my 07 Cayman. Had it repaired by Gibbles in Manheim PA for $250. I took the car to Porsche Mechanicsburg and they took it to the repair shop and picked it up. Beautiful job and I am totally satisfied. No way did I want to tackle that grief job that included removing trim and the passenger side rear quarter window.
, not including cleaning the old liner off and glueing on the new fabric. There is no evidence that anything was done and it looks new.

Jack

JamesBond
yes seems crazy , a car of this quality build is plagued by this problem. Had to do it on both a 12 and 15 Cayman I have owned/own. I contimplated doing it myself, I am pretty handy around cars, body work ect but .... this job did not seem fun, nor for the faint of heart.
The 12 was done by a body shop for $400, the dealer did the other , more expensive . Both came out fine, although the trim on the 12 took a bit more abuse ( that soft paint/cover issue)
Good luck

Ron
Certified Porscheaholic
2015 Cayman

oldpsulefty
Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies. My dealer wants in excess of $1000 (I live in the Phoenix area), so I'm going to look for a car upholsterer in the area and see what that gives me. In the mean time I've done an extremely ugly pin-up that sort of screws in, just in a few spots to keep it off of my head and my passenger's. As a PA guy, I'm familiar with where Manheim is, too bad it's 2000 miles away. I'll let you know how it turns out. I may wait a few months, tough. Thanks again,

Dave

FlipE
If anyone has a dropped headliner on a 987.2 Cayman, this kit for 14 bucks worked great for me

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHQVYXGL?ta ... 31-20&th=1

You may elect to put a push pin in all the places you want a button. I suggest you begin in the center of the top.

When you are ready to proceed:

Fit a snap over a screw.

Pull out a push pin.

Insert screw/snap in pin hole.

Drive screw with the miniature Phillips screwdriver until the snap is snug.

=====

If the screw strips before the snap snugs up, you have hit a plastic standoff. Do NOT drill a pilot hole. What if the drill were to snag the headliner? No, I didn't try.

Using a proper Philips screwdriver with lots of end-force, drive the screw into the plastic standoff until the snap is snug.

=====

When all the snaps are in-place, look to see if the layout looks OK. I tried to follow a pattern of triangles wherein each snap was 100mm from the snaps around it. The curve of the top makes this impossible, so I modified it here and there.

Then just snap on all the buttons. I ordered the kit with the black buttons. They seem to match the black headliner fairly-well.

Now all that's left is to figure out what to do with the 80 push pins and 80 helical pins they gave you.

If you decide later that your Cayman needs to be concours, you can still rip it all out and put in a new headliner.

Gimerman1
Just a "heads up" for anyone with headliner problems on a 986 Boxster. Mine is a 2001 with just over 31,000 miles. On the way home from my purchase, the headliner kept falling on my head. After extensive research and forum's, I learned the following: early Boxsters all seem to have this problem eventually. The headliner on this vehicle is not glued in place, it is suspended by plastic bars sewn into a a small sleeve on the back side, and then attached at the ends (right and left). The main problem is that the leading plastic rod (at the windshield) usually breaks at one corner. This piece is no longer available from Porsche, and finding a used one is like finding a needle in a haystack! The best fix that I found and totally agree with is to simply remove it. It doesn't look bad at all and could easily have come that way originally. I don't think that the early model 986 had a headliner.