How I became a Porschephiliac

Welcome new members -- introduce yourselves!
RGC0909
In November 1965 I bought my first / new car, a 1966 VW 1300 Beetle. Unfortunately it was a lemon, was in the service department multiple times in less than a year of ownership. Apparently the new 1300 ( one year 66' ) was problematic hence in 1967 VW went to the 1500 engine. I bought my new VW from, at the time, the largest VW / Porsche dealer in Southern California, Chick Iverson Porsche in Newport Beach Ca. apply nicknamed New Porsche Beach. Porsche and VW's we're everywhere along Southern Calf beaches. The way this dealership which setup you had to walk thru the showroom to get to the service department, imagine a 16 year old walking by those beautiful 1965-1966 911s..wow I drooled every time. Of course a $6,500 911 was over the moon as opposed to my $1,600 VW.. That's what hooked me on Porsche, over 20 Porsches later..

Again another quirk experience in 1970 while buying VW parts at a local Foreign Car Parts store, I found a Porsche ad for sale on their poster board.. a 1951 356 Cabriolet, I bought it !!! my First Porsche the, was the 102th Factory Built Porsche !!! it was all complete and running, (except a 1100 VW engine), in rough condition with several rust holes the size of a California Navel Orange...BUT a Split-Window Porsche Cabriolet WOW !!! now the best part, I paid $100.00 yes you read that correctly $100. I spent over 2 years and $3,500 in restoration, (a fairly large chunk of change in 1970) looked and ran great, had it about 3+ years, then at a stop light a new VW super beetle was next to me, when the light changed he blew me away, I decided if I have a Porsche, he has to beat a VW. Then and there I started my Porsche pilgrimage and I've never looked back..By the way, I've owned several Very Desirable
& Valuable Porsches, a couple over 20 years. Wish I had kept some of them, OF COURSE but life circumstances change and I've learned you must move on and don't live in the rear mirror.
Keep the Faith
Rick C

blueline
@RGC0909

Welcome to Carpokes Rick! Great story you shared - memories like that are special, indeed.

Comment and post away as desired. Pics are always good too!

You might also want to post an into at the main thread for new Carpokeans here: viewtopic.php?t=48

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region