Can anyone comment on the PCCM system that's available?

Tech and talk about the 997 and 996
blueline
RickyD wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:48 am Hi, I have the PCCM+ installed in my 1998 Boxster. I had it done at the dealership, since the head unit in the car was aftermarket and had all kinds of crazy wires leading to it. I am satisfied with the way it works and looks. Is it perfect ? Not at all, but it’s definitely an improvement, and the touch screen is great, having a screen for gps is great!
Glad it's worked out for the better. Welcome to Carpokes!!

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

Comiso-sicily
I have been going back and forth over the new system for months. My existing system works well and has a cd player. Only thing is I can’t change the date. Now that being said I saw a good friend of mine this past Saturday at a Porsche event he has an ‘08 997 and had it done.
It’s glorious. It fits like original equipment, it’s got all the bells and whistles: Bluetooth, Spotify etc and it just looks great. I’m leaning very hard to pulling the trigger.

Jfort
I just put one in my 2007 C2S. My friend/mechanic put it in. He said it was easy. At first, the radio tuner had no antenna. Quick research said to install a bypass wire that came with the unit. Perfect. The navigation is an embarrassment. I can't believe Porsche would create and market such crap. The nav chip comes separately. Don't waste your time or money. Just use your iPhone's Map app. and Apple CarPlay. I was also disappointed that the unit does not have wireless CarPlay. [the Dynavin unit I recently installed in an '05 Cayenne is wireless and works perfectly. What's your problem, Porsche?] I bought an aftermarket bluetooth device that plugs into the USB slot. Works perfectly. I like it for quick trips. But for a long trip, especially using Maps, you'll want to connect iPhone using the USB slot since the iPhone will be getting charged as you go. I made sure my latest and best playlist was downloaded onto my iPhone. Then no need for a cell tower and data charge.

1970 914 factory six. 2.7L
2005 Cayenne V6
2007 997.1 C2S
2012 Panamera 4
2005 Merc SLK350 (wife's)
1999 HD FXDWG

Comiso-sicily
Outstanding info. Thank you.

Jfort
We've had some nice weather so I've been driving the 997. The unit is a huge improvement and really updates the car. I really enjoy having CarPlay. It takes less than a minute for the wireless BT to pair. I have a little button controller that sticks on the steering wheel to I can jump to next song without taking my hand off the wheel or eye off the road. I'll paste the link at the end. The album art and the big screen is great. I haven't figured out how to make the voice turn by turn navigation to be louder. I started memorizing radio station presets. Fairly straightforward except I have trouble going from FM to AM and back. Ohio just passed a distracted driver law. It's nice to make and receive calls on the unit. Very happy. Worth the money.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RM75NL0?ps ... ct_details

1970 914 factory six. 2.7L
2005 Cayenne V6
2007 997.1 C2S
2012 Panamera 4
2005 Merc SLK350 (wife's)
1999 HD FXDWG

Comiso-sicily
Thanks guys. It arrived from Suncoast a few days ago and my Porsche guy is installing it next week.

sullivs
Thank you all for the comments. Good to hear the different point of views. I realize everything is a trade-off. Kinda like life!

Steve

'02 996TT Lapis Blue

rpiccola
Hello
I have it in my 2000 911 and absolutely love it. Apple Play, phone messages and talk. And my music. It’s a game changer if you ask me.

Barginator21
I have installed the PCCM+ in a 2000 C4 and a 2000 Boxster S. The kit is excellent and install is straightforward. The only confusion might be depending on the options your car has (e.g., CD Changer). The one tip I'll offer is that some videos don't mention that you need to pull out the center frame where the unit sits, install the PCCM+ from the back of the frame, and then reinstall the center frame. Perhaps that is obvious to some, but it's not required to take out the factory PCCM unit. The one choice you have on install is where to place the remote USB connection box...

Anyway, connect to Android Auto or Apple Carplay is easy through the USB. The ONLY complaints I have is that 1) the touchscreen appears to be resistive vs. capacitive, so a small amount of force is sometimes needed and that 2) the volume change after turning the volume control knob is sometimes delayed a bit... as if the processor reading the knob position is busy (as if the knob is not triggering an interrupt, but its position is read only every so often unless a change is detected).

They are great additions to 2000ish era cars.

'00 Mill C4, '00 Boxster S

blueline
Barginator21 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:00 pm I have installed the PCCM+ in a 2000 C4 and a 2000 Boxster S. The kit is excellent and install is straightforward. The only confusion might be depending on the options your car has (e.g., CD Changer). The one tip I'll offer is that some videos don't mention that you need to pull out the center frame where the unit sits, install the PCCM+ from the back of the frame, and then reinstall the center frame. Perhaps that is obvious to some, but it's not required to take out the factory PCCM unit. The one choice you have on install is where to place the remote USB connection box...

Anyway, connect to Android Auto or Apple Carplay is easy through the USB. The ONLY complaints I have is that 1) the touchscreen appears to be resistive vs. capacitive, so a small amount of force is sometimes needed and that 2) the volume change after turning the volume control knob is sometimes delayed a bit... as if the processor reading the knob position is busy (as if the knob is not triggering an interrupt, but its position is read only every so often unless a change is detected).

They are great additions to 2000ish era cars.
Thanks for the info and the post. And, welcome to Carpokes!

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region