Track Day Car?

Including Spyders & GT4s
ryancassidy
Not going to lie... I'm full of bad ideas... so here we go...

I can't get the track day I had a few weeks back out of my head. But I LOVE my GT3RS.. its just incredible in every aspect, but to use it 3 or 4 or 5 times a year on the track and really learn its limits feels "off limits" for me for a wide variety of reasons (insurance, writing it off, PCCB's, lol, etc etc). I get that's what its meant for though.

So is there a more reasonable option for dedicated track use?... One that if it was a dedicated track toy and something happened I wouldn't feel as bad... one that has the same reliability, but lower running costs. Not as quick for sure, limits aren't as high, but something that would test and continue to develop one into a better driver? Something that isn't a pure momentum car (NB Miata as an example).

I'm a pretty handy wrench and have a full complement of wrenches/tools so normal maintenance or upgrades etc is fine. I feel it needs to be a hard top. What would that be if you had your choice? No factory new cars... probably something 10 or so years old is my guess.

Just looking for some ideas. The Cayman seems like a great platform as an example, but what year and what flavor? Anything newer than 2006? S? Base and then tweak it with brakes/suspension? PASM or no? Looking to brainstorm some pro's and con's is all and I figured this would be a great place!

Cheers,
Ryan Cassidy

Tom
Site Admin
944 Turbo :)

Or for a more modern option, how about a 335i with n54 or n55 engine? You can make seriously big power without a huge investment, with endless aftermarket parts/support....

ryancassidy
How serious are you about the 944 Turbo..... Hadn't considered it, so I need to do some digging on it. Good idea on the 335i. Those can be had relatively in expensively and a good platform to build from. There are loads of different options for sure. Ideally...

Easy to work on
Surplus of aftermarket support
Cost effective to run (think lighter)
More power than I need (I don't want it to be a momentum only car, but not stupid crazy of course)

Cheers,
Ryan Cassidy

Tom
Site Admin
Only kind of kidding about the 944 turbo. If you are willing to get your hands dirty and put some effort into the set up, they can be stupid fast. Mine made 500rwhp on a dyno, with a fully built motor, so no momentum needed. :)

The 335i is way more modern and probably easier to prep, but lacks the balance and nimbleness of the 951. I had a 2011 335is and loved it. But it was more of of a sporty commuter in stock trim (and heavy), but with lots of potential.

Prices have skyrocketed, but the 3rd generation Rx7 (twin turbo) is a track machine out of the box. I had one back in the day and it was just razor sharp and plenty powerful.

Or get any generation z06 and have a blast....

Tom
Site Admin
Did you end up getting anything interesting for the track?

ryancassidy
Not yet... Still kicking around a few ideas... some good... some bad... I think I've aligned to buying one already done as opposed to building new, and am watching the various haunts for something that checks my boxes.

There is no "perfect" car... just a stepping stone to another one :-)

Cheers,
Ryan Cassidy

Kelly
I'd suggest starting with a 986.1
Awesome platform - lots of possibilities. Great car to learn in and grow. A momentum car. Not too expensive. Analog - manual. There are still quite a few around. You a can always keep going and make it SPB and race! Its the greatest class - super people - very helpful groups all across the country. You can work on them yourselves (you can learn trust me (even horse trainers can do it!)
In SPB there are always great battles through out the field - the sharp end (speedy guys are really really good) the mid pack has lots of racing going on and the back of the pack is very competitive too if you slip back for comfort or are just starting out. All in all a tremendous experience I simply could not recommend it more highly. If you want to have a track car that won't break the bank - that you can really race wheel to wheel or Time Trial or just DE- the 986.1 is the way to go!
I took my daily driver... and AXd first.. then stripped it tracked it and went racing. I made the mods one at a time went to the track each time in between to see what that mod really did and kept going. Lots of folks go out and buy a racecar... I went one step at a time (with my son some of the time) and had an absolute blast every day with our cars.

Kelly @LeterBuckRacing
Boxster 986.1 / 996.1
Porscheanimist

GT3Twenty10
MR2 (91-95). Tracked one for years.. Bullet proof motors, 2500lbs, etc.
Lotus Elise…
That’s another great car I owned..

Caymans: I have one, great car but to be reliable so the motor doesn’t pop they need a lot of tweaking.. 06-08. 09-12 motors are better but they cost more.
GT3: I feel your pain. I have a 2010 and now it’s worth a boat load of cash and I’d rather not beat it… I said that would never be me and here we are

Current Porsche’s

2012 Carrera S 997.2- ruby red, PDK,
BBS, PSS9’s, Gundo-hack…the keeper!!

Both sold:
2010 GT3 (base model) :lol:
2008 Cayman CRS 3.8