after sitting for a month Cayenne won't unlock

Tech and Talk about the Cayenne (all years)
Brewski
This is dumb. If my 2011 911 sits for a few days I need to lift the door handle before using my fob to unlock the car. Here's the issue... my Cayenne sat for a month and when I tried to use its fob to unlock the doors nothing happened. I did not pull the handle first. I then used the key to unlock the door but it appeared that the battery was dead but in fact it was not. I've tried to figure this out using my Porsche manual but can't find the answer. Here is my question... after my Cayenne sits for several days do I need to pull the handle before using my fob?? :oops:

2011 Carrera 4
2019 Cayenne S

blueline
Brewski wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:34 am This is dumb. If my 2011 911 sits for a few days I need to lift the door handle before using my fob to unlock the car. Here's the issue... my Cayenne sat for a month and when I tried to use its fob to unlock the doors nothing happened. I did not pull the handle first. I then used the key to unlock the door but it appeared that the battery was dead but in fact it was not. I've tried to figure this out using my Porsche manual but can't find the answer. Here is my question... after my Cayenne sits for several days do I need to pull the handle before using my fob?? :oops:
No. You shouldn't have to do any of that in any specific order. We recently traded our 2019 Cayenne Turbo which we'd had since it was new and never had any issue of that sort. Key fob first, handle first - it didn't matter.

I did change our fob's batteries a couple of times during the 5-years we had the Cayenne. Also, even though your car's battery seems fine, it could be weakening. I would suggest using a quality battery maintainer (not a simple charger) periodically - and always if the vehicle is going to sit unused for a more lengthy period of time. Batteries take a lot of abuse due to the extreme parasitic nature of modern and complex vehicles such as a Cayenne. Lots of short trips near home are insufficient to properly maintain a car battery.

If properly maintained, your battery should last a lot longer and be more reliable too.

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

Brewski
I changed the fob battery and put the car on a Battery Tender. I didn't know if I had to "have an order of things to do" like my 911 or if that batteries were getting tired. All good now. Thank you for your reply. :)

2011 Carrera 4
2019 Cayenne S

blueline
Brewski wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:12 am I changed the fob battery and put the car on a Battery Tender. I didn't know if I had to "have an order of things to do" like my 911 or if that batteries were getting tired. All good now. Thank you for your reply. :)
Very good! Glad that it's righted itself.

Hopefully, it was just a software hiccup that needed a reset, something accomplished by the steps you took to get it going properly again. That kind of glitch has become the way it is in our digital worlds: reboots, resets, power-cycling, etc. all seem to do the trick more times than not. :thumbup:

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region