Cayenne towing aftermarket

Tech and Talk about the Cayenne (all years)
Pepper2020
I have a 2020 base Cayenne and would like to tow a cargo trailer or small boat. Unfortunately I don’t have a hitch or tow package. I’ve viewed some hitch options from etrailer, and a wiring option that doesn’t require splicing wires. The dealer pricing is unreasonable. I would appreciate the experience and guidance from those who have tackled this project.

blueline
Pepper2020 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:33 pm I have a 2020 base Cayenne and would like to tow a cargo trailer or small boat. Unfortunately I don’t have a hitch or tow package. I’ve viewed some hitch options from etrailer, and a wiring option that doesn’t require splicing wires. The dealer pricing is unreasonable. I would appreciate the experience and guidance from those who have tackled this project.
I don't have any specific suggestions except to say that you need to make sure that whatever you do is safe and up to the task. That includes proper weight and balance considerations, proper and secure mounting with regards to your Cayenne, proper electrical hookups, etc.

I realize that you want to undertake this yourself and that's great, but some expert advice and/or installation help from a well-regarded specialty shop may be worth the time. Also, safety and quality products/material are paramount - there are a lot of cheaply made inferior products on the market. I'd be suspicious so research well.

I'll add that on a late model Cayenne such as yours I'd want factory parts if available.

Hopefully others here will have some ideas. Meanwhile, welcome to Carpokes and good luck with your project! :thumbup:

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

RDMcG
I would second Blueline's remark about going OEM for the towbar. As I am sure you are aware it ia hugely beneficial to have a trailer controller fitted so you can set the brake bias depending on the load. I have towed for thousands of miles with a Cayenne, typically with a second car on a trailer. ]
The trailer controller saved my bacon one day in Utah. I was in the left lane passing a slow semi wench someone illegally came across the media and stopped to look at a map in my lane...
could not swerve with the semi beside me so full emergency brakes. I had set the brake balance for a full load, jammed on, smoke everywhere and came to a stop in a straight line.

I suspect you are doing very light loads but if not I always have my Cayennes with OEM tower and add a controller.
DSCN2326.JPG
DSCN2326.JPG (2.64 MiB) Viewed 239 times

996C438
Typically a cargo trailer or small boat won't have brakes . You have to decide do you want a 4 pin harness or a 7 pin ? The 7 pin is for trailers with brakes . Once you figure that out you can go OEM or aftermarket as there are plenty of companies out there that sell quality trailer harnesses . You can use a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter that gives more flexibility.

The hitch: while OEM is a great way to go I would not have any issues going aftermarket . Reese as an example has been making hitches forever . Curt is another top brand . Many Uhaul facilities sell and install hitches . My point is there are good quality options out there . Good luck with your choices .

Bebling
Stealth Hitch worked on my E-Hybrid as Porsche won’t fit hitch due to battery placement. Have towed track car for 1 yr plus. Awesome. And it comes off when you aren’t using.

blueline
Bebling wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:21 pm Stealth Hitch worked on my E-Hybrid as Porsche won’t fit hitch due to battery placement. Have towed track car for 1 yr plus. Awesome. And it comes off when you aren’t using.
Thanks for the suggestion and welcome to Carpokes! :thumbup:

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

Jadelman
My 2010 did not come with the tow package so I put a Curt hitch on it and tried the add on electrical connections without much luck. I got the factory harness and it worked well. My 2016 came with the package and it works well. I would not be afraid to use either a Curt or a Reese. They may require a small adjustment to the rear bumper.