**FIXED** 87 944 S - Hesitation around 4K RPM's

Tech and talk about all 16 valve 944 and 968 Cars
NCGermerican
FIXED!!! At least it seems to be so far. Unfortunately, I replaced a few things "while I was in there", so it's hard to pinpoint EXACTLY what solved it. I didn't want to take the intake on/off 4-5 times to try each one separately. Here is what I did:

1) Pulled intake and inspected every single vacuum line to make sure it wasn't leaking or clogged
2) Replaced DME temp sensor (since the issue happened when the car was warm and it's cheap)
3) Inspected DME temp sensor connector (I had replaced this connector previously but checked it anyway)
4) Replaced temperature gauge sender (since I was right there)
5) Cleaned grounds (again)
6) Replaced aftermarket reference sensor w/ Genuine Bosch
7) Replaced aftermarket TPS sensor w/ Genuine Bosch

I personally feel that the issue was either the aftermarket TPS or reference sensor. I'm thinking it was the TPS - even though it "clicked" when it was supposed to and resistance readings checked out, once the car heated up I think it did something to the 2/3 throttle reading. Every time I tested it previously, the car was cold.

Knock on wood, the car runs VERY well now. I will never use aftermarket parts for key items that require precise communication with the DME. Go Bosch or go back to the garage! Definitely affects the wallet though.....

@Tom - any way to update the thread title to add "Fixed"?

1987 951 - Nautic Blue over Linen
1987 944 S - Nautic Blue over Linen
2015 Audi RS5 Sepang Blue (Daily)
2023 Durango R/T AWD - Destroyer Grey (Wife's Daily)
2013 Audi A5 Quattro - Brilliant Black (Son's daily once he turns 16)

Tom
Site Admin
NCGermerican wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:55 am FIXED!!! At least it seems to be so far. Unfortunately, I replaced a few things "while I was in there", so it's hard to pinpoint EXACTLY what solved it. I didn't want to take the intake on/off 4-5 times to try each one separately. Here is what I did:

1) Pulled intake and inspected every single vacuum line to make sure it wasn't leaking or clogged
2) Replaced DME temp sensor (since the issue happened when the car was warm and it's cheap)
3) Inspected DME temp sensor connector (I had replaced this connector previously but checked it anyway)
4) Replaced temperature gauge sender (since I was right there)
5) Cleaned grounds (again)
6) Replaced aftermarket reference sensor w/ Genuine Bosch
7) Replaced aftermarket TPS sensor w/ Genuine Bosch

I personally feel that the issue was either the aftermarket TPS or reference sensor. I'm thinking it was the TPS - even though it "clicked" when it was supposed to and resistance readings checked out, once the car heated up I think it did something to the 2/3 throttle reading. Every time I tested it previously, the car was cold.

Knock on wood, the car runs VERY well now. I will never use aftermarket parts for key items that require precise communication with the DME. Go Bosch or go back to the garage! Definitely affects the wallet though.....

@Tom - any way to update the thread title to add "Fixed"?

That's great news! Congrats! Hard to know exactly which part fixed it, but I'm with you on Bosch (or PCNA) parts for sure.

I think you should be able to edit your post (and the title) by clicking the little pencil icon below your post? If not, let me know and I'll do it for you. :)

NCGermerican
Tom wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:32 am I think you should be able to edit your post (and the title) by clicking the little pencil icon below your post? If not, let me know and I'll do it for you. :)
Thanks Tom! Thread title updated.

1987 951 - Nautic Blue over Linen
1987 944 S - Nautic Blue over Linen
2015 Audi RS5 Sepang Blue (Daily)
2023 Durango R/T AWD - Destroyer Grey (Wife's Daily)
2013 Audi A5 Quattro - Brilliant Black (Son's daily once he turns 16)