Rear seatbelt latch rattle?

Tech and talk about the 991 and 992
Tom
Site Admin
Full disclosure: I have an unhealthy fixation on squeaks and rattles in cars. That said, yesterday I had the pleasure of driving 25 miles on highway 880 in the Bay Area in the 992. It has a super rough surface akin to 25 miles of cattle guards, which brings out every possible rattle or buzz in the interior. The only saving grace is that the tire noise from driving on this surface drowns out the sounds of the smaller vibrations. But the rear seat belt latch -- the fixed stalk near the middle of the seat -- has a very loud/harsh buzz on certain rough roads like this. It was driving me nuts, and I was grabbing and pushing on everything within reach until I found it. Any one else have this? I guess I could just buckle up that (passenger) side that rattles and/or wondering if it's something the dealer might be able to fix easily?

blueline
I have the same dislike for any and all intermittent and random squeaks/rattles/vibration buzzes brought on by things such as a rough road surface as you described.

To answer your question, yes - I've had the random and (fortunately) rare buzz/rattle coming from the rear passenger area of the 992 that I've not been able to pinpoint. It's irritating when it occurs, but it only happens on certain kinds of road surfaces and even then it's random. It's not easy to drive while dodging horrid drivers and sort the issue at the same time. (I know, a rider would be most helpful to track it down.) I've gone through the rear pass area many times while parked hoping to find the smoking gun but never found anything obvious.

However, thanks to your lead, maybe an internal part of that seat belt stalk is the source of the irritant in my car too - it's in the area where I think the sporadic buzz seems to emanate. Although I've not heard it in the past half dozen or so drives (thankfully), it's bound to return as soon as it thinks I've relaxed my guard. When it does, I'm going to buckle the rear belts and see what happens.

Thanks for posting that Tom - it might be the culprit for me too. :thumbup:

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

blueline
I bought seat belt clips at Amazon for the OEM sealt belt latches when on track using the 6-points. A set for your unused rear seat belt stalks might quiet down the rattle and they would look better than clipping in the belts.

The clips can be difficult to find but they're out there. The 4-pack of clips pictured below are what I got but they are no longer available at Amazon. However, I found a diff set there, plus eBay probably has plenty. Can also just search internet for "seat belt clips".

615F7iUSZfL._AC_SX679_-1759566226.jpg
615F7iUSZfL._AC_SX679_-1759566226.jpg (24.19 KiB) Viewed 165 times

@Tom

For some reason, Amazon links are not working for me w/Carpokes tonight. Pasting an Amazon link to Carpokes - any Amazon link - gives a partial "...having trouble finding ...." message. (See below.) What am I overlooking?

https://www.amazon.com/PCS-Universal-Au ... H7ZT&psc=1

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

71eh
Reigning Avatar Champion
Tom wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:52 am Full disclosure: I have an unhealthy fixation on squeaks and rattles in cars. That said, yesterday I had the pleasure of driving 25 miles on highway 880 in the Bay Area in the 992. It has a super rough surface akin to 25 miles of cattle guards, which brings out every possible rattle or buzz in the interior. The only saving grace is that the tire noise from driving on this surface drowns out the sounds of the smaller vibrations. But the rear seat belt latch -- the fixed stalk near the middle of the seat -- has a very loud/harsh buzz on certain rough roads like this. It was driving me nuts, and I was grabbing and pushing on everything within reach until I found it. Any one else have this? I guess I could just buckle up that (passenger) side that rattles and/or wondering if it's something the dealer might be able to fix easily?
Ha, glad I am not the only one that is obsessed with squeaks and rattles!

I had a super quiet but annoying rattle in my CLS53 - I ended up having a friend of mine drive it around, with me in the back seat like a dog hunting down the rattle. Good way to pin-point it at least.

For that one, it was the rear heat/ac vent... If you turned it half on, it was fine. If you turned 3/4 on, it rattled lol.

'24 Porsche 718 Cayman
'21 Mercedes AMG GTR
'76 Triumph TR6
'23 Porsche Macan GTS (sold)
'22 AMG CLS53 (sold)
'22 AMG CLA45 (sold)
'20 AMG c63s (sold)

Tom
Site Admin
blueline wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:07 pm I bought seat belt clips at Amazon for the OEM sealt belt latches when on track using the 6-points. A set for your unused rear seat belt stalks might quiet down the rattle and they would look better than clipping in the belts.

The clips can be difficult to find but they're out there. The 4-pack of clips pictured below are what I got but they are no longer available at Amazon. However, I found a diff set there, plus eBay probably has plenty. Can also just search internet for "seat belt clips".

@Tom

For some reason, Amazon links are not working for me w/Carpokes tonight. Pasting an Amazon link to Carpokes - any Amazon link - gives a partial "...having trouble finding ...." message. (See below.) What am I overlooking?

I didn't know they sold those -- great info, thank you! And here I was going to 3D print something... :) Not sure what the glitch is/was with Amazon links? Nothing changed on our end. Will have to investigate a bit...

71eh
Reigning Avatar Champion
Tom wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:10 am
blueline wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:07 pm I bought seat belt clips at Amazon for the OEM sealt belt latches when on track using the 6-points. A set for your unused rear seat belt stalks might quiet down the rattle and they would look better than clipping in the belts.

@Tom

I didn't know they sold those -- great info, thank you! And here I was going to 3D print something... :) Not sure what the glitch is/was with Amazon links? Nothing changed on our end. Will have to investigate a bit...
Tom, have a look here regarding the issue with Amazon links/embeds

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2649661

'24 Porsche 718 Cayman
'21 Mercedes AMG GTR
'76 Triumph TR6
'23 Porsche Macan GTS (sold)
'22 AMG CLS53 (sold)
'22 AMG CLA45 (sold)
'20 AMG c63s (sold)

Tom
Site Admin
71eh wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:19 am
Tom wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:10 am

@Tom

Tom, have a look here regarding the issue with Amazon links/embeds

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2649661

Thanks, someone on that forum pointed me to that post. So, bottom line, Amazon changed their links so they can no longer embed on third party sites. :( Should be the same on all other forums. I'll remove them from the list of embedded sites here on Carpokes so links to Amazon just show up as hypertext links.