Cayenne diesel issues

Tech and Talk about the Cayenne (all years)
RickA
Does anyone know the current issues with the diesels? I've heard that there is about a 20% failure rate on the engines. I'd like to know if that is true and if so is it getting worse as these SUVs age.

Tom
Site Admin
What year? I don't believe Porsche has sold a diesel version since 2018...?

RickA
They would be between 2013 and I believe the last year was 2017. I think they had a four year run before "Diesel Gate" shutdown production.

iJeep2
I'd love to start/endorse such a rumor...but frankly, I just rolled 90,000 miles on my '13 CD and have friends with over 230,000 miles on theirs. Zero issues other than the occasional seal leaks. Had mine completely resealed seven years ago and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Just replace wear items (on chassis) and fluid changes...and drive! Some day I'll buy another one. Right now, the market's just too hot. CDs with low miles are still grabbing $50K+ on auction sites.

blueline
iJeep2 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:21 pm I'd love to start/endorse such a rumor...but frankly, I just rolled 90,000 miles on my '13 CD and have friends with over 230,000 miles on theirs. Zero issues other than the occasional seal leaks. Had mine completely resealed seven years ago and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Just replace wear items (on chassis) and fluid changes...and drive! Some day I'll buy another one. Right now, the market's just too hot. CDs with low miles are still grabbing $50K+ on auction sites.
Good feedback!

Welcome to Carpokes! (Well, insofar as your first post anyway since you actually signed up back in the summer! :thumbup:)

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

RickA
Thanks for the info. I only know one other owner and he has fewer miles on his than I have on mine. I'm pushing 130K and have had very few minor issues. It is as tight as a bank vault and I'd love to keep it until the wheels fall off, I'm just a little concerned about the engine.

mafpolo
I have a 2015. These vehicles are incredibly reliable if maintained. Only reliability issue I know of is some of them eventually have a rear seal leak.....then the decision is whether to fix it or live with he leak (most are not bad leaks). The only warranty issue I have had withe mine was a boost pump failing (in warranty), and they replaced the entire turbo. Our veterinarian saw mine and told me she wished she still had hers. She had a 2013 with 230,000 miles when somebody hit her and totaled her Cayenne. She now has an e-hybrid. With all of that said, I have just bought a 2021 S only because I am ready for something different, and I don't like the 2024. My diesel only has 54,700 miles, so I am waiting on the S to arrive. I will drive both for a little while, and if I don't love the S as much as I've loved the diesel, I'll keep the diesel.