New owner of an '83 944 in Alabama

Welcome new members -- introduce yourselves!
nakota83
New member, old 944...carburetor/pushrod kinda guy making the first foray into a Fuel injection project. Haven't done much with it yet, still in the data gathering/education phase. To date I have: overpaid for the car (everyone in the South thinks every car that's been rotting in their backyard for the last 20 yrs is worth $10k), discovered the belt service with only 1k miles on it was done over 3 years ago, replaced the failed FPR only to find someone played with the AFM to mask the dead FPR, adjusted the leading edge hood gap and then couldn't open the hood (after an hour of monkeying with it and only when i committed to cutting it did it suddenly and miraculously pop up), drove 5 hrs to buy an AFM and DME from an 87 (28 pin)...and discovered the car was an 85 (24 pin but okay, at least it's chippable) then found that the DME was water damaged/dead, started replacing some of the vacuum lines and am currently waiting on intake gaskets to get to the rest of the lines and IACV...so, yeah, so far this is the best decision I've ever made.
In all fairness, I've gone from an idle that hunted between 500-1300 RPM to an occasional stumbling 950 RPM, oh,... and the exhaust no longer burns your eyes. I expect it to get better once i get to the rest of the lines.
Currently investigating standalone options with the intent to MAF swap it once I get it running acceptably in stock configuration.

Tom
Site Admin
Welcome to Carpokes. You've come to the right place! Sounds like you've already started sorting things out, but feel free to ask away here -- lots of experienced 944ers here! Smart move getting it running nicely before venturing into a standalone. Honestly, if intrigued by the project/accomplishment aspect of a standalone, go for it, but otherwise I'd argue there's not a lot of upside to justify all the work on an '83. That car can run like a top on the factory engine management once it's all sorted out. :)