Rattles, Squeaks, and Clunks, Oh My!

Including the Spyder, GT4, and GT4RS
Larry C
We love our 718’s. They are nimble, quick and lightweight. Unfortunately, they do have a fair amount of rattles and squeaks. I’ve noticed that most unwanted noises seem to come from the rear hatch contact points and the cross bar attachments. I also get a mild intermittent rattle that appears to come from the steering column.

It would be helpful to post your rattles and squeaks, the source (if you found it) and how you were able to remedy the situation. Get out your Krytox and felt and post away!

Thanks,
Larry

2022 Cayman GTS 4.0
2019 Audi RS3 (sold)
2016 VW Golf R (sold)
2013 Audi S4 (sold)

J-Dub
Mine has a rattle/squeak from around the cross bar attachment and around the little cubby on the drivers side. I have not investigated either yet but curious what fixes others find.

1957 VW Beetle
2004 VW R32
2021 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0

P_Coastal
Larry, there is a Big 718 specific thread here:

https://www.718forum.com/threads/718-ca ... ost-139484

2023 Porsche 718 Cayman (Chalk / Leather interior in Black/Bordeaux Red) My Config:
viewtopic.php?p=7560#p7560

Larry C
P_Coastal wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:47 am Larry, there is a Big 718 specific thread here:

https://www.718forum.com/threads/718-ca ... ost-139484
Thanks - I have seen that

2022 Cayman GTS 4.0
2019 Audi RS3 (sold)
2016 VW Golf R (sold)
2013 Audi S4 (sold)

71eh
Reigning Avatar Champion
There are quite a few rattles for sure.

1) Rear hatch trim. The rear hatch plastic piece that connects to the rear hatch door. I put little pieces of felt on certain points. Got rid of those rattles.

2) Passenger side cubby with sliding top. Rammed a piece of felt between the top and the sliding door.

3) Driver side seatbelt rattle. Took the seatbelt housing off, and put some felt in there. There is a small metal flap that vibrates, so I put some felt under it. Pretty much all gone. Good video on it here:

4) Sportschrono rattle. This only rattled once or twice. I decided to take it off anyways, and put very small piece of felt under the housing, with some Krytok. It's gone (for now).

5) I did not have a cross bar rattle, but I took it off anyways as I had to wrap the bar. I put some felt on the main contact points, just incase she started to rattle like others have mentioned.

6) Drive side door rattle. I took the door panel off (it's VERY easy), and put foam on the problem areas. I played various frequencies through the speaks (on youtube via my phone), so you can replicate a rattle. The frequency is meant to replicate various RPM ranges. This is just so I know EXACTLY where the rattle is coming from.

I have spent a good amount of time fixing these, as I refuse to take it to the dealership (it's far away, and it's always a pain trying to get them to replicate it).

Buy a set of trim removal tools, and whenever you hear a rattle, isolate it (have a friend drive you around so you can jump around like a dog in a car, isolating the rattle), take off the trim, load it up with felt tape and Krytox.

1) Trim Removal Tools (cheap on Amazon)
2) Krytox
3) Felt Tape
4) Maybe some insulating foam if you need to wedge something.

'24 Porsche 718 Cayman
'21 Mercedes AMG GTR
'76 Triumph TR6
'23 Porsche Macan GTS (sold)
'22 AMG CLS53 (sold)
'22 AMG CLA45 (sold)
'20 AMG c63s (sold)

71eh
Reigning Avatar Champion
A member asked me to provide more clarity on the rear hatch rattle. This appears to be an issue for a lot of people.

Most of the time, the following things fix it (certainly not all cases, like mine).

1) Adjust the little nobbies. This can get annoying, as you keep having to do it, and it rarely completely solves this issue.
2) Take off the privacy cover.
3) Putting felt on the stoppers help, but thats a different issue that I have not experienced.

This is for the plastic trim piece connected to the rear hatch. Some would think you can just put some felt down, but unfortunately that will not fix it. The plastic trim is put on in a manner that there is always a little gap between the trim outer edge, and the actual hatch.

The rattles comes from inside the plastic trim, and not from the outer edge of the plastic trim hitting the metal hatch door.

So, I found that you need to "Wedge" something in between the plastic trim and the metal hatch door. This is not to stop it from hitting the hatch (it never did in the first place), but the create more tension inside the trim, thus creating less area for things to move around, and therefore, less rattle.

I hope the following pictures help explain what I am going on about haha.

To note: This is how it looked when I first did it. It's ugly I know, but later on I made it less noticeable. All I cared about was stopping that damn rattle lol.
1.png
1.png (662.97 KiB) Viewed 330 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (131.33 KiB) Viewed 330 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 330 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (109.62 KiB) Viewed 330 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (124.37 KiB) Viewed 330 times

ONE MORE THING... If you are one of the people who took off the privacy cover, make sure you screw something back in those holes. If you just take off the cover, there is a lot of play now in that area. For example, see picture. (Don't worry, I eventually got black screws ha).

IMG_6356.JPG
IMG_6356.JPG (4.1 MiB) Viewed 330 times

'24 Porsche 718 Cayman
'21 Mercedes AMG GTR
'76 Triumph TR6
'22 AMG CLS53 (sold)
'22 AMG CLA45 (sold)
'20 AMG c63s (sold)

WillyDaP
After reading this entire thread I am starting to appreciate old age and being hard of hearing, ha! Either I can't hear the rattles ( though I have tried ) or I am just lucky enough not to have any ....................yet.

I think I will put off the hearing aids a bit longer as I am pretty happy right now with my quiet GTS!

2024 Chalk Cayman GTS
2020 White Macan S
2013 Blue/White Viper GTS Launch Edition
2022 Silver Ram W1500 Laramie CrewCab

P_Coastal
There seems to be a high level of variability from car to car and I guess driver to driver. I tend to be very sensitive to noises that should not be there. I have one intermittent buzzing sound that I have yet to diagnose, so far I think that is pretty good.
Thanks to @71eh for his work on documenting his experiences.

2023 Porsche 718 Cayman (Chalk / Leather interior in Black/Bordeaux Red) My Config:
viewtopic.php?p=7560#p7560

Tom
Site Admin
I am obsessed with rattles too. My 991 had lots of interior rattles and it drove me nuts. That's when I learned about Krytox. Honestly, that's one of the reasons I sold it early and got the 992. The 991 was full of Exclusive Manufaktur options, stitching and leather-covered things, which I believe contributed to the rattles. For a lot of those options, I understand they build the car first, then go back and modify things for the options. Totally unscientific, but it seemed like a disproportionate amount of the rattles related to panels that had been optioned after-the-fact like that. So when I ordered by 992, I avoided nearly all Exclusive Manufaktur options and this car is way more solid over bumps, etc. It had the well-known door panel rattle when new, and an occasional sunroof squeak (fixed with Krytox), but otherwise has been very solid. My dealer says the 992 just has fewer rattles than the 991, so my options theory may be nonsense, I dunno. But I share your pain on rattles and love seeing them exposed and fixed like this!

71eh
Reigning Avatar Champion
Ha, I am the same as P_Coastal... I hear absolutely everything, especially things that should not be there.

Where roughly is the intermittent buzzing coming from @P_Coastal ?

'24 Porsche 718 Cayman
'21 Mercedes AMG GTR
'76 Triumph TR6
'22 AMG CLS53 (sold)
'22 AMG CLA45 (sold)
'20 AMG c63s (sold)