Engine fault light

Including the Spyder, GT4, and GT4RS
fasteddie9
My 2013 base Boxster has 36K and has been serviced by a Porsche dealer. It runs perfectly with zero issues, except, I got a light "Fault Engine Control Possible to drive on". Fluids are good and I run Exxon 93 gas almost exclusively. No mods to the engine.
Any ideas? I'm 3 hours from the nearest Porsche dealer so it would be great if I can avoid the trip.
Thanks.

P_Coastal
fasteddie9 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:34 am My 2013 base Boxster has 36K and has been serviced by a Porsche dealer. It runs perfectly with zero issues, except, I got a light "Fault Engine Control Possible to drive on". Fluids are good and I run Exxon 93 gas almost exclusively. No mods to the engine.
Any ideas? I'm 3 hours from the nearest Porsche dealer so it would be great if I can avoid the trip.
Thanks.
You need a scan to see what faults have been logged. Any decent shop can do that to give you more information to determine whether a dealer trip is warranted. Good Luck !

2023 Porsche 718 Cayman (Chalk / Leather interior in Black/Bordeaux Red) My Config:
viewtopic.php?p=7560#p7560

Tom
Site Admin
Check to make sure your gas cap is clicked shut. Ask me how I know. If it wasn't clicked, it can take a day or two of driving for the warning to go away. Otherwise, you can get an OBDII port reader for peanuts these days (like under $10 on amazon!), and reader will give you the fault code so you know what the issue is. Or, as P_Coastal says, just about any auto shop can scan for the codes and tell you what triggered the warning. Fingers crossed it's something cheap and easy. :)

fasteddie9
Thanks for the info. I'll check the gas cap and also get a shop to scan the OBD. I hate to sound dumb, but, being old school, I didn't know if this required an OBD scanner specific to Porsche. Again, thanks.

fasteddie9
Looking for suggestions on a particular OBD scanner to consider. Again, this is new to me and I have no clue on comparing units. I should have had a scanner some time ago but I'm about to be educated.

fasteddie9
My buddy has a small, basic reader. He says its a "small evap leak" code. Check gas cap and hoses, but ok to drive. I haven't had the car on a lift to see the engine yet. Is it hard to access?

fjord384
Evap leaks involve a failed seal or hose on the emission lines. You would need to run a smoke test to figure out where the leak is and replace the hose or seal.