944S2 16V Turbo Build

Tech and talk about all 16 valve 944 and 968 Cars
Thom
The First Carpoke!
Good work.

How hard was it to take the flanges off the cross over pipe without damaging the tubes at all? A friend building his own 16V engine has not been very successful with this so far.

'90 944T - modified somehow

BasHenneman
Nice work Luke! Why did you retain the stock xover small pipe? The stock wg location / pipework is horrible and you would benefit a lot from a fresh one!

Bergerac
Thom wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:33 am Good work.

How hard was it to take the flanges off the cross over pipe without damaging the tubes at all? A friend building his own 16V engine has not been very successful with this so far.
The rear flange was already cracked so it didn't take much to get that off, the front one the weld was super hard and it got a little chewed up by the die grinder. I've given it to a fabricator to weld because it's beyond my skill, hes going to clean it up and realign the flanges so it's not under so much tension when we put it back on.

Bergerac
BasHenneman wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:51 am Nice work Luke! Why did you retain the stock xover small pipe? The stock wg location / pipework is horrible and you would benefit a lot from a fresh one!
It was a compromise to get the car running sooner. I do want to revisit the crossover but my fabricator is super busy. I'm also limited in what I can do with a RHD drive car around the headers/merge point.