T Build - Feedback and Comments Requested

Tech and talk about the 991 and 992
emd710
Having a Carrera T built this December. Super pleased to going back to driving a manual car after years of automatics.

I have about ~6 weeks left until the change window freezes so I have been doing some reflecting on the build and welcome feedback from folks that have "been there, done that" with 911 builds, as this will be my first 911.

Use cases: This will be a somewhat daily driver, so it will need to take me to the grocery store, take the wife and I to lunch, or to the office or a customer site and probably see a couple of road trips a year to visit family or vacations. I WFH 90% of the time, so not a bunch of miles, but still more than a weekend or track car will see.

Carrera T (will be a 2024 model year car)
7 speed manual
Rear axle steer
Wheels painted in gloss black
18 way seats
Ventilated seats
Rear seats (we have two boys, so I expect to have them with us for short trips - both are teenagers so anything long is a bit silly)
PDLS+ (not the big money LED option one)
Heated GT Sport steering wheel in race-tex (learned my lesson from our Macan's leather wheel)
Electric slide/tilt sunroof
Prep for roof transport
Power fold mirrors
Shark Blue (my PTS request didn't come through..)
Seat belts in Shark Blue
White face for Speedo
White face for clock
Interior trim in Shark Blue
Storage package
Prep for Porsche dashcam

Since I am doing European delivery, I can't spec the fire extinguisher. No, seriously, the configurator throws a warning and drops it.. Super don't get that one. Will retrofit when it arrives here.

So, that's the list. Thoughts, suggestions?

blueline
I'll need to get my brain up to speed - cobwebs and all...

I'll look when I can to see what's being offered, but yours is looking like a great build from a quick glance. Much of anything else depends largely on how much you want to load it up with things like embossed crests, aluminum sills and foot pedals, puddle lights and the like. You can never go wrong with more leather - seatbacks, visors, interior pkgs, etc.

What about your sound system?

I need to glance at the mechanical/performance side of things. Front axle lift comes to mind.

Porsche kicked the PTS option down the tubes just within the last few days for all 911 models. PTS was available on the configurator late last week but is now gone. All existing configs had the option removed too. PTS is still available for all other models except for the 718 which lost PTS in April and is discontinued anyway except for the 4RS. I have no idea why Porsche does this so suddenly to its customers - maybe due to shift to 992.2 for '25? Just a guess.

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

emd710
Sound system is the default base. I found some discussion elsewhere about that vs the Bose upgrade. Haven't made any hard decisions there.
With the lightweight glass and lower amounts of insulation/sound deadening in the T, I kinda wonder if spending the coin on Bose is worth it. I'm not any kind of audiophile and my hearing isn't exactly stellar anymore either.

The leather interior in black didn't do anything for me. Ditto the sunvisors, etc. I like the leather in our Macan, but it's the Mojave beige option, which you can't get in the T.

Considered FAL and decided it wasn't a huge deal for me since I'm mostly out in the burbs, vs a downtown with lots of weird angles.

I was told that all the PTS slots for 2024 were full up, which tracks with PTS getting pulled from the configurator.

blueline
So, if not an audiophile, you probably won't be disappointed, especially considering the extra noise from reduced insulation and the lightweight glass. If you did decide to upgrade to the Bose, then you might consider going to the top with the Burmester just to please any future buyer. Options in that regard go a long way if/when the car is sold.

I like my music but never listen to it in the GT4. In fact I never even turn on the radio or the PCM in that car. The PCM screen is perpetually off and blank - 100% of the time. :D However, in the Turbo S and the Cayenne, we have the Burmester and are subscribed to SiriusXM so both are always on. Also have other PCM accoutrements in those two cars whereas the GT4 has nothing except for basic PCM controls.

If you're going for weight savings then I guess leaving off the FAL is ok. However, you will encounter an apron into a parking lot at some point which can easily do damage so I'd be sure that you don't want that option. FAL might also apply if ever resold, although it is a "T" so probably not a big deal in that regard.

I didn't think about the black leather and not being able to get some kind of brown. (Truffle Brown & Cohiba in our Cayenne and Truffle in the TTS.) Therefore, I get your thoughts as to why extra leather is likely not that important.

I have to remind myself that you're getting the Carrera T for a reason! It's similar to how I configured the GT4 - no extras that I didn't specifically need for track use or just enjoying the car on a drive as it is!

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

Tom
Site Admin
I've spec'd a couple of 992's and don't see anything obvious missing that is not on your list of discussed above. I'm a sucker for extended leather trim pieces (end caps, steering wheel surround, etc.) but in a T those are probably out of place. I'm curious about Shark Blue interior trim? Do you mean the seats, door cards, etc. will be Shark Blue? I just checked the configurator and it seems to say that's not available right now? Have you seen a car with that interior in person? I'm thinking it would make quite a statement. Brightly colored interiors are hit or miss -- people either love them or hate them. I saw a Gulf Orange 992 Turbo S at Werks with some kind of orange interior. I wouldn't have the nerve to spec that myself, but have to say it looked very cool and very wild.

Arne2
emd710 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:04 am Since I am doing European delivery, I can't spec the fire extinguisher. No, seriously, the configurator throws a warning and drops it.. Super don't get that one. Will retrofit when it arrives here.
EU and USA have differing regulations for chemical-containing things like fire extinguishers. The USA unit is probably not compliant with EU rules, so they can't fit it to a car that will be driven in EU. Likewise, the EU model is probably not certified for USA, so they can't export a car with that unit to the US. So the answer is, "No extinguisher for you."

- Arne

Current - 2018 Cayman 2.0 litre
Past - 1984 911 Carrera, 1984 944, 1973 914 2.0, 1972 911T

emd710
Arne2 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:59 am
emd710 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:04 am Since I am doing European delivery, I can't spec the fire extinguisher. No, seriously, the configurator throws a warning and drops it.. Super don't get that one. Will retrofit when it arrives here.
EU and USA have differing regulations for chemical-containing things like fire extinguishers. The USA unit is probably not compliant with EU rules, so they can't fit it to a car that will be driven in EU. Likewise, the EU model is probably not certified for USA, so they can't export a car with that unit to the US. So the answer is, "No extinguisher for you."
Wouldn't be surprised if it was regulations related. Silly, but unsurprising.

What grinds my gears is that it's like $160 bucks on a new car order, but the retrofit is ~$800 ish, IF you can source the parts from suncoast.

WillyDaP
You can likely find a kit with numerous US aftermarket companies and I am pretty Rennline has a full set up ( extinguisher and mount ) for under $300. I have put a couple in Mustangs I had in the past and paid anywhere from 150 -300 for a full mounting bracket and extinguisher so you should be fine. Honestly, the one I have from the factory on my 24 Cayman is no nicer than any of the ones I have installed in the past so I would not get the set up from Suncoast -- discounted or not that would buy you 2-3 full packaged sets of equal quality.

2024 Chalk Cayman GTS
2020 White Macan S
2013 Blue/White Viper GTS Launch Edition
2022 Silver Ram W1500 Laramie CrewCab

emd710
Tom wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:25 am I've spec'd a couple of 992's and don't see anything obvious missing that is not on your list of discussed above. I'm a sucker for extended leather trim pieces (end caps, steering wheel surround, etc.) but in a T those are probably out of place. I'm curious about Shark Blue interior trim? Do you mean the seats, door cards, etc. will be Shark Blue? I just checked the configurator and it seems to say that's not available right now? Have you seen a car with that interior in person? I'm thinking it would make quite a statement. Brightly colored interiors are hit or miss -- people either love them or hate them. I saw a Gulf Orange 992 Turbo S at Werks with some kind of orange interior. I wouldn't have the nerve to spec that myself, but have to say it looked very cool and very wild.
The interior trim option gives you a colored insert in the door cards, around the cup holder, and a trim piece on the lower dash. The bulk of the interior stays the default black color (seats, carpet, majority of the dash, etc). I find it brightens up the interior, but doesn't make it potentially eye seering. ;)

In general, so many 911s I see are totally black interiors, which I just don't find all that attractive. I joke that Porsche is still using the trainload of black leather they bought in 1970, which is why it is the default on EVERYTHING.

I'm hoping the aftermarket eventually comes through and gives me color options for seat centers on the 18 ways, which will let me liven up the interior even more, while still respecting the long tradition of the car. I see where there is offerings for the carbon buckets so I hope it is just a matter of time.

rasetsu
I would add surround view and leave the wheels in their standard gloss gray as they would be no cost, unique to the T, and matches the Agate gray accents.