Paint Protection Film

This forum is for detailed DIY guides relating to the Macan
BCDave
I am about to take delivery of a new Macan GTS. I’ve always used PPF due to road conditions in our area. The dealer is recommending Hexis Bodyfence however there seems to be little in the way of user reviews. Expel seems to get very good reviews. I’ve used Suntek in the past with good results.

I’d appreciate any comments on user experience with any of these products.

Tom
Site Admin
No experience with that film, sorry. The big 3 are 3M, Xpel and Suntek. I had 3M on my 991, and have Suntek on my 992. Both great films, though I give the edge to Suntek in terms of overall results (clarity, fingers, cut lines, etc.). But in general, I'd shop for the best installer in your area and go with whatever film they like best (from among the name brands anyway).

We have an Xpel rep on Carpokes -- @wcw67 -- so he may have some insights to share... My concern about your dealer's recommendation is whether it's based on actual attributes of the film, or really motivated by some relationship/deal with someone who sells/installs it.

Helix might be fantastic, though googling that name for reviews gives mixed results. With the big 3 all producing known results, I'm not sure I'd have the pioneering spirit needed to try a lesser known brand. Not all pioneers discover new territories. Some just get attacked by wolves and stuff. ;)

blueline
...wolves and stuff. Lol. Funny but how true!

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

wcw67
BCDave wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:59 pm I am about to take delivery of a new Macan GTS. I’ve always used PPF due to road conditions in our area. The dealer is recommending Hexis Bodyfence however there seems to be little in the way of user reviews. Expel seems to get very good reviews. I’ve used Suntek in the past with good results.

I’d appreciate any comments on user experience with any of these products.
Hey there BCDave! Thanks @Tom ! BCDave, I'm the Porsche Brand Ambassador for XPEL. I've been an end user of PPF since 2000 and have been with the company since 2015. Feel free to ask questions here or email me at cwhite@xpel.com
-Chris

Larry C
Email sent @wcw67

2022 Cayman GTS 4.0
2019 Audi RS3 (sold)
2016 VW Golf R (sold)
2013 Audi S4 (sold)

wem
I have used ppf on many cars. I moved away from 3M and used Suntek and Xpel Ultimate plus on the entire car on an Aston Martin DB11 (suntek only because of the width of the hood was too large for a single piece of Xpel). Most recently I did the full front, door cups and edges and rear bumper in Xpel Ultimate plus on a 2023 Cayenne S Coupe, and the entire car on my new AMG SL55 in Xpel Ultimate plus. Xpel is a great film. The self healing properties are terrific for light scratches as well as water spots and bird droppings (a hot washcloth placed on the mark for about a minute and everything is gone). The film has looks invisible on the car if the paint is properly prepped by the installer.

Tom
Site Admin
wem wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:18 am I have used ppf on many cars. I moved away from 3M and used Suntek and Xpel Ultimate plus on the entire car on an Aston Martin DB11 (suntek only because of the width of the hood was too large for a single piece of Xpel). Most recently I did the full front, door cups and edges and rear bumper in Xpel Ultimate plus on a 2023 Cayenne S Coupe, and the entire car on my new AMG SL55 in Xpel Ultimate plus. Xpel is a great film. The self healing properties are terrific for light scratches as well as water spots and bird droppings (a hot washcloth placed on the mark for about a minute and everything is gone). The film has looks invisible on the car if the paint is properly prepped by the installer.
The Suntek on my 992 came out much nicer than the 3M film on my old 991. Part of it might be the installer, but it seems like Suntek is easier to work around corners, etc., and way less prone to collecting dirt on cut edges. I know they are constantly improving the film, but Suntek gets my vote right now between the two. I haven't tried Xpel yet...

wcw67
Tom wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:29 pm
wem wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:18 am I have used ppf on many cars. I moved away from 3M and used Suntek and Xpel Ultimate plus on the entire car on an Aston Martin DB11 (suntek only because of the width of the hood was too large for a single piece of Xpel). Most recently I did the full front, door cups and edges and rear bumper in Xpel Ultimate plus on a 2023 Cayenne S Coupe, and the entire car on my new AMG SL55 in Xpel Ultimate plus. Xpel is a great film. The self healing properties are terrific for light scratches as well as water spots and bird droppings (a hot washcloth placed on the mark for about a minute and everything is gone). The film has looks invisible on the car if the paint is properly prepped by the installer.
The Suntek on my 992 came out much nicer than the 3M film on my old 991. Part of it might be the installer, but it seems like Suntek is easier to work around corners, etc., and way less prone to collecting dirt on cut edges. I know they are constantly improving the film, but Suntek gets my vote right now between the two. I haven't tried Xpel yet...
That's 100% Installer related. ANY brand PPF will collect dirt on edges if they're not properly laid down/sealed. Suntek is a good film and the only other one I'd put on my car.

Tom
Site Admin
wcw67 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:00 am
Tom wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:29 pm
That's 100% Installer related. ANY brand PPF will collect dirt on edges if they're not properly laid down/sealed. Suntek is a good film and the only other one I'd put on my car.

I watched the guy do a lot of the Suntek, and didn't notice any extra sealing/care on the edges. What did the 3M installer do wrong to make it collect dirt like that?

blueline
A lot also depends on where and how and how much a car is driven. For instance, if you're on track a lot and driving anything other than parade laps, the rocker panels and other leading edges of lower body parts are eventually going to collect dirt at an edge or three no matter which product is used. After several years those higher impact areas will benefit from new film.

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region