Compressor Auto Drains...

A friendly place to discuss whatever!
Tom
Site Admin
I'm looking for a new auto drain for my air compressor, but all the ones I'm seeing online have the same 'problem' as the one I already have. You can adjust how often the tank vents, and for how long, but the least frequently they vent is every 45 minutes. Who needs to vent their tank every 45 minutes, 24/7? I don't get it. I end up unplugging it most of the time and just plugging it in a few times a week to vent the water out of the tank. Anyone know of an auto drain that can be adjusted to only go off once a day (or a couple times a week)?

icb
I didn't even know they had timer operated drains at all. It seems to me that you'd be the one to re-engineer the timer to do what you want with an arduino....

Ian Borg
1988 Porsche 944S
https://icb-machinations.blogspot.com/

Tom
Site Admin
icb wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:22 am I didn't even know they had timer operated drains at all. It seems to me that you'd be the one to re-engineer the timer to do what you want with an arduino....
Haha --trust me I thought of that, but figured it was a low-return use of time, so ended up getting a little $10 outlet timer that turns the outlet on for just 30 minutes every day. This way, the drain vents once a day (when the outlet turns on). That's still more often than I need, but it was a path-of-least-resistance solution to keep the thing from venting (loudly) every 45 minutes. I guess those 45 minute auto-drains are made for compressors that are running all day long, but for a home shop like mine, it just made a lot of noise throughout the day and caused the compressor to needlessly cycle too often.